any good leader suggestions?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by big water cats, Sep 17, 2009.

1. big water cats

big water cats New Member

State:
    south carolina
    do you guys have any particular leader that is a very good one?

2. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I prefer and use Cajun Red in #50. Red is the first color in the spectrum to disapear in water. I also think it's easier to tie in the dark or low light conditions we Catfishermen fish in most. I think it's tough enough and has never let me down. I will say I change my leaders often.:wink:

3. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    sounds like bigg stuff

4. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    just like i taught him ,he paid attention when i let him on my boat:smile2::smile2::smile2: tell the truth now:smile2::smile2:

5. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use Berkley Vanish 50# florocarbon, great abrasion resistance, nearly impossible to break off (which suks if you are snagged, lol). I like it, no probs.

6. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    I have used Vanish #50 and Cajun Red #50 could not tell any difference in bite on one or other finally settled on Cajun Red because worked well and was good bit cheaper than the fluorocarbon lines. I have used foot tub full of others but for me those two are the best for cats. I use Cajun Lightin #30 on my rods. Did will on #59 lb fish. :big_smile: Hope that helps

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I also use Cajun leaders but I've settled on the 40#. I use to use 50# but for my conditions the 40# works and I have full confidence in it. The main reason I dropped down is because I'm able to tie my knots a lot better with the smaller diameter line.

So IMO consider what conditions you fish, then decided on a pound test you need to match. If ya want a good and inexpensive leader material...Cajun is a great choice.

-Jim-

8. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use 25lb Berkley Big Game, with a 18 inch Berkley Big Game 50lb leader. For swivel size, I use a #3. Hooks are Team Catfish 6/0 double action

9. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I like to use a leader with 80# test and about 18 to 396 inches long 3 to 10 oz. weight depending on where I'm fishing, 5/0 barrel swivel snell knot the hook on the end then iI put a small cigar cork about 8 inches from the hook it will keep it just off the bottom.Use the same type of leader to drift with also just switch out the weight to a 2 oz. slinky weight.

10. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Berkley Big Game monofilament tends to be my most used leader material. I think mine is the 50# spool.

I also have used some eagleclaw line... that stuff has high memory and is more like weedwacker line than anything else!

11. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    396 inches long.... cheese n rice!!....:smile2:

12. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Quote by Brian

I also have used some eagleclaw line... that stuff has high memory and is more like weedwacker line than anything else!

thanks for the info, i was going to buy a spool and try it but now i'll save that 3-4 bucks. can't stand to try and thread a 2inch bobber with curley line:smile2:
    I use Big Game and Andy line. There was this 30lb line i got off ebay, suppose to be Big Game, even though i haven't been able to find the same color. Its a greenish yellow and is some of the best line i have ever used.
    I usually change leaders a lot, checking after every fish i catch. I use 25 to 30lb in the lake and 30-50 in the river.

13. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    I try to use flouro for all my leaders, incredible abrasion resistance and durability.

14. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I as well changed back to 50lb Cajun Red Lightning after I found no difference between it and the expensive Flouro I was using.I will use the Flouro until its gone,and then I have over 1000 yds of the Cajun.

Hint to son.....I have over 1000 yds of the 50.......

15. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Like the other guys said, you can't go wrong with a 50# shock leader. I generally use a leader 12-18" in length with a circle hook snelled on.

Good luck!

16. tha ''GUTBUCKET''

tha ''GUTBUCKET'' New Member

State:
    GASTONIA,NC WYLIE
    I like to use a leader with 80# test and about 18 to 396 inches long 3 to 10 oz. weight WOW! THINGS ARE BIGGER IN TEXAS, HOW LONG OF A ROD DO YOU USE TO THROW THAT 33' LEADER...........HA.HA:big_smile::big_smile:

17. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    I use 50# filament and 20# filament & snell the circle hooks with line about 9" long. Works great.

18. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
  19. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    well, guess im a little different. i use a red steel leader material and have had no prob. with it. just crimp on a swivel, hook and small cork and your set. i make mine 36in.

GARY