Any Good Fishin' on the Neuse River lately???

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by hoghandlernc1, Apr 4, 2008.

1. hoghandlernc1

hoghandlernc1 New Member

State:
    NC
    Im goin down to the Neuse either today or tommorrow (if the rain holds off a little), anyone been havin any luck here lately?? Im gonna try and find some eels and I'll probably pick up some large minnows at my fav bait shop.

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC from Kentucky good luck on your fishing trip

3. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Where at on the nuese?

4. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Haven't fished on the neuse since the end of december. I will be going in a couple weeks or so if the rain holds off. With all the rain we just got the water will probably go up a great deal and ruin the fishing.

5. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    i would try it with the high water thats when i ve had my best luck

6. jimbob3445

jimbob3445 New Member

State:
    New Bern, North Carolina
    i'm gonna try this week either monday or wednesday from the dock at spring garden, tried a swift creek last week got a lot of little nibbles on liver but didn't catch anything.

7. Wiskerstickerr

Wiskerstickerr New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I'm going down to Cowpen Landing next weekend. Any advice on where to get some shad would be much appreciated. I've never fished the Neuse before; I'm trying to expand my horizons a little bit. And how far is it to New Bern from the landing by water? Thanks.

8. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    you should still be able to catch some shad with some white jigs with pink heads. Not sure how many are left since I didnt go this year but I hear they are still around. New bern is about six miles or so from spring garden, depends on where in new bern you are trying to get to by water. On some nice days last year I put in on the neuse near cherry point and then went all the way up past spring garden to fish and drove all the way back. Just have to watch in down river from new bern because I have seen it go from slick calm to 5' waves very fast.

9. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    has anyone been to the neuse around smithfield since the waters up had some buddys went they caght numbers but nothing big said biggest was 22lbs

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Weekend before last we had some good catting above Smithfield and the water was up.

I've also had my best luck on the portions of the Neuse I fish on a rising river.
    It brings them alive.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    My fishing partner threw back a channel that was probally a new state record according to his scales. It was close enough to go find a certified scale but not worth the effort or the fish.

12. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    thats great to hear , hope we can do good sat.april12th good to see the lake is up and there releasing water not going to no how to act with water being up and stable for a change

13. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    gonna be a while b4 any fishing is done around sg or cp, water expected to crest friday. looks like the grand rapids now.:sad2:

14. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    yea, been down there when shes like that tough fishing i do think smithfield will be between 6.5-8 feet for this weakend fishing

15. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    catfishgary is this a two day tournament.?

16. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    it starts sat. at 2 and ends on sunday morn. to answer your question no its an overnite one

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Went over the river at the breadbox today.
    The river looked good with some water in it.

It's up but no raging torrent. Looked rather peaceful.
    Actually more along the lines of what it used to be before Falls Lake was dammed and all the growth we've experienced in the last 20 years started sucking it up.

I would say some fish will be caught if we dont get a major front from the midwest.

I was hoping to go fishing up above 42 HWY Saturday night in the catfish haven but its turned into a maybe if I'm lucky affair.
    I've got to get some gates up on our other farm and find time to sit down with my accountant.

18. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    we went to goldsborofri nite 4-18 not to bad even though im against the moon but to pretty to set at home ,ended up with a 37, 26 and around 8 more between 5-15 over all a good nite

19. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow morning, pre fish for the SAT. event. I'll report.

20. Riverfish3r

Riverfish3r New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We went fishing below the dam in Raleigh on 3/14/-3/15 and 4/11-4/12 and we caught 3 using cut shad we had caught in the cast net. Also caught a large carp in the net as well. The average was 6-7 lbs. We usually catch 2-4 fish per night when we stay out there. As always...CPR

carp1.jpg

Carp2.jpg

Carp4.jpg