Any good catfishing in old monroe missouri?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by fisherking, Jun 11, 2007.

1. fisherking

fisherking New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hey guys I was just wondering, I always past the town of old monroe off of Hwy 79 going toward winfield, I would really like to know if there are any good holes up in that area, and is that the cuirve river or the mississipi or what, am really interested in checking that area out, I would appreciate it if someone can give me some information about old monroe thanks alot.:smile2: The fisherking

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    You can get the the mississippi from right in there.

PM Cpalombo he fishes that area some and may be able to help ya.

3. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Old Monroe is on the Cuiver River about 3 miles up from Cuiver Island on the Mississippi. There is a pay ramp about a mile down river. I have not fished it in over 20 years so can't tell about the fishing.

4. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    PM me and we can trade cell #'s. I will tell you what I know. Also, search my posts in the past month (click on my name - top right of pic) and read what I have there. Lots of kidding around, but the fishing reports are true in respect to numbers, size, water variables, and tactics.

Oh, though I wished it was editorial exaggeration... I did really blow up my propeller. Honest, I can prove it by showing you the propeller on the back floor board of my Pontiac Vibe. It is like one big propeller with 25 little propellers hanging off each fin.

CP

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Hey Chris, if you don't mind...I would like to go out with you sometime when you launch from the Cuivre River access. I put in there last night and was completely lost!!! That stretch of river and the stretch below the Melvin Price Dam is a night and day difference!! I must admit, the Cuivre access is much closer to my house as well.

Thanks in advance!!

6. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    DBW and I were talking about getting out some time this next weekend. Assuming he can still go and assuming the boss says I can go, you should meet us there. I still have to check with the boss to ask her what the point system says for me (If you are not married... NEWSFLASH... there IS a point system and it WILL define your ability to, among other things, fish). "Do not deny the point system." "Give in to the point system." "Embrace the point system." "You will now be directed to relinquish your manhood to the point system..." Uh, sorry, blanked out for a second there. Anyway...

So yah, if I can get out I will let you know. It is a trip that I do almost exclusivly off my GPS due to the braided nature of the Miss River right off the Crivre Confluence, the death rocks in between Crivere and the main Miss channel, and and the general darkness of that little river late at night.

One tought is to pick up a $80 hand-held GPS and use it during the day to plot the launch, the trip in and out of the Criever, the bouys on the way to your holes, and the holes themselves. I did that operation in the daylight in early May, and feel MUCH better running it at night now.

PM me your cell # and I will call you this week to let you know when and if DBW and I were going to get out.

CP

7. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Normally I avoid Cuiver Island on weekends but due to my grandson's schedule, I took him and his daddy out of there Saturday. I think everybody who has a boat on the river was out there. Had to hide in a chute over on the Illinois side and still almost got ran into by a jetskier that didn't see us anchored in the shade. Caught a couple of eaters but that was it. T'was a beautifull day. Saw some really dangerous boating though.

8. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    It is jet ski central. And, the parking lot off the left of the ramp is like a magnet for redneck drunken fools. I have seen many a stumbling mullet there in the wee hours of the night.

One good idea is to take off there, and run a few miles north or south. There are not a lot of boat launches in that area, so it gets quieter as you get further from the launch site. I go 6 miles north or 4 south. Only big cabin crusers, cat fishing rigs, and barges in that area.

CP

9. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    If you have room for one more I'd love to come along....I been wanting to go with someone out on the Mississippi or Missouri to show me what to look for on the river. I bought my first boat this Spring and haven't had the guts to take it out on the bigger rivers yet.

10. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    I got one better... I would not mind making Sat night June 16 an "event" at Cruivre Island launch. We can do an open invite for guys to meet at the launch, fish en-mass for a few hours (no one take my bait spot behind the barge or I will open up a can of Italian Guido tomato Woop Butt on you like I did on the family of twelve 80 year old women in the pontoon boat last week), and fish until 1:00am. As a prize, the biggest fish winner gets to.... keep, clean, and eat the biggest catfish (complete with mercury poisoning, pin worm, and rabbies).

What do you all think? I cant promise to arrange all the boats and passengers, but if we pick a launch and a time to start, we can probably fill a few boats up.

Is anyone interested in that? Do we have any open boat slots thinking of attending that need a fishing buddy? Any non-boat owners willing to pay half of the gass bill?

CP

11. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Now you are talking, Chris. A catfish extravaganza!!

I'm down with the point system and just an fyi...blowing 500 bones on Bourbon Street NOLA on a "work trip" while your pregnant wife is home taking care of the 1 year old is an automatic ten point deduction.

Thankfully I believe I have worked off that point deficit now and should be good to go Saturday night. Lets work out the details!

12. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I'd be up for that on Saturday night and would be willing to pitch in for gas. I can also catch some Bluegill during the day on Saturday to fish with that night.

13. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I would kind of like to go also but not sure if I'll be ready.

Picking up the new boat today, then have to get it legal and somewhat set-up to fish.

Only problem is I have to head out of town Friday and won't be back until Saturday Afternoon. That leaves me a little short on time to get my boat prepared.

Maybe I'll consider the passenger thing as I'm not ready to christen the boat and make my maiden voyage at night.

14. dust_stl

dust_stl New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Gotta love the point system. Chris if I could fish as much as you do after me and Amber get married and have are girl I will be a happy man. My modo always has been "Fish today Pay tommorow" I always wish you could pay with cash but normally they only accept doing extra work around the house.
    I think Im going to go run trot and limb lines this weekend on the Big River and look for fish without mercury poisoning, pin worm, and rabbies.

15. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Hey CP I would love to go out again if you have a spot. Those new to me penn's have been itching for a bigger workout than the 5 lb bowfin I caught last week. Gas money is no problem just let me know what I owe ya, I could probably even scrounge up a few skippies.

16. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Nevermind, I'm out for Saturday night. My wife just reminded me of a prior commitment.

I'll be making my maiden voyage Sunday though out of Winfield at Lock and Dam 25.

Not sure where to even fish right now. I have put in at least 30 hours bank fishing the river this last week and can't catch anything. Well one channel and some Gar.

Hopefully the new boat will help out. At least it should be more fun if nothing else. HA> And more expensive.

17. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    The river is slowly dropping and that is not good for the bite. Are you putting in upstream or downstream from dam 25? Saturday the eaters were hitting pretty good up until about 11 am then slowed way down. If you put in downstream, go to the Illinois side of the dam and catch some goldeneye and possible a skippy for bait, use anything that imitates a minnow or small shad. Work along a current break and you are liable to catch just about anything. Last june my brother caught a 10 lb buffalo on a rattletrap while I was catching whites and goldeneyes on a white/grey roostertail.

18. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Hey all, I just threw this idea into its own thread to see if we can get a few more boats there. I think we are 3 non-boaters too many at the moment, so lets see what happens.

Repost on the main thread so that we can get more eyes on this idea.

(I feel like the social coordinator for the Old Monroe Glee Club!)

CP