Any good bank spots at Lake Monticello?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by harper81, Sep 13, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Since a boat is not an option I was just wondering if anyone could give me tips on where to fish Monticello from the bank? Thanks for any assistance given.

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    The park area off of hwy 215 is pretty good.Theres a long point sticking out there if your faceing the Nuc plant.Theres a little bit of rip rap around it.Lots of stumps there so you have to hold your rod up and reel fast when your reelin in.

Another good area is where hwy 99 crosses the small dike that seperates the big lake and little lake.Its rip rap all the way down it and you are able to cast to 50 + feet from the bank.You have to pull of to the side and sit your stuff out over the gaurd rail and then go park your vehicle and walk back but its not a far walk.The place where you park is good at times too.

Patience, patience, patience is the key to big fish.Catchin the small fish is not a problem but have at least one rod out with some big chunks of fish on it and dont touch it until its goin down.Make sure your rod is wedged between the rocks real good too.:wink:

3. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Now is this park area very obvious? Are there any signs or do you just have to know where its at?

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    So obvious that Ray Charles could see it.

Yeah theres signs.Theres a softball field there too, that way you know your in the right place.

Your best bet for 20 to 40+ lb fish are gone be on the rip rap wall on Hwy 99 though.Although there has been some hawgs caught off that point, just dont seem to be as many as the rip rap.

5. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Thanks for all the info so far. I have three more questions and I should be set to go. 1st is what time of day is good? I was thinking about going Sunday, but I can only go in the afternoon/early evening. 2nd what baits are best? I would guess the usuals shad/bluegill/perch. 3rd if you can't use a cast net there, how do you go about getting bait? Again thanks chrisblue for all the help. If I ever have a few hundred extra dollars to spend I will definitely be giving you a call.:wink: