Any gardeners have the Aerogarden for an indoor winter harvest?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by DLB-in-GR, Dec 7, 2009.

1. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    My mother wanted an Aerogarden indoor hydroponics kit to grow lettuce in the winter so she got one for Christmas last year, the 7 pod Classic model. She harvested lettuce from Jan-May, after that she just used her outdoor real garden. That thing is really neat, if you are into gardening as a hobby. With the seed kit prices it isn't an economical way to grow veggies, but more of a fun little hobby. Watching the plants grow, you get to see the progress of each one on a day by day basis and get to "know" the plant, a bit like having a pet plant, much different than a garden in the summer with rows of things. But then you eat your pet plant, in the case of the lettuce. It was very good lettuce.

This year I got her a couple more seed kits, she's going to try Cherry Tomatoes this winter/spring and as long as the harvest lasts into the summer, and cascading petunias next fall.

This is a very good picture that depicts about what the garden looked like during the full harvest season... I didn't get any pics of it in full bloom myself, but it really did look like this picture. The other is how it looked before the seeds sprouted.

Attached Files:

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That is pretty dog gone neat,,, I never seen one of them....

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    That's really neat...I'll take a look around at those.

Right now, though, I have a plant light attached to a shelf in the basement furnace room. I figure that this is the moistest and warmest place in the house to grow anything in the cold of winter! This is the poor man's version, I suppose!

4. festus

festus New Member

Yep, we have one of those, but we haven't used it this year. We had a garden outside this year. So, it's nice to get away from gardening and lawn mowing for a while, but we might just fire up our Aerogarden after the holidays are over.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I thought the only ones that used those were pot smokin druggies:smile2::smile2: I never thought they were real

6. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, we grew herbs in our's a time or two, but not the illegal kind! Basil, oregano, thyme, and parsley. I don't think you could get much weed out of one of these little setups. :smile2:

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Whooo Hoooo

Herbs

8. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    No, this setup would not work for growing wacky tobaccy. Plants for it have to be on the small side; I'm wondering how large the tomato plants will get and if they will have space in it with the lights raised all the way up. Even the basil my mother grew kept growing up into the lights and burning itself, she had to harvest those top leaves a lot and force the plants to branch into a bush. The herb pods came out and went into clay pots, then a planter on the deck for the summer, and they are still producing, thyme, oregano, mint, and parsley right now as that planter is moved back indoors. She decided it was just as easy to grow the herbs in dirt, but the lettuce would be a trick in the winter without the Aerogarden.

9. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    My dad has a wagon that he puts a couple of pots in for tomato plants. If it's going to be too cold overnight he pulls it in the garage. If it's too cold during the day he covers it with plastic and pulls it in the sun to act almost like a greenhouse. I told him he should get some of those lights and put in the garage but he said since the garage windows face the road he didn't want someone to think he might have something in there he's not supposed to.

I know someone else that has something similar, but a trailer pulled by an atv pulled in a building behind the house overnight.

10. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Here are a couple pics of the tomatoes 3 1/2 weeks after the garden was planted on the 19th of December. The garden normally holds 7 pods, but there are spacers with this kit because of the plant size. They are due for a pruning soon, to force branching instead of upward growth into the light. The light adjusts, but it only goes so high, and a tomato plant can get very tall.

Attached Files:

11. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    The tomatoes are on schedule. The plants are short and dense, strong, and there are clusters of flowers and now small unripe fruit all over them... Check it out, I am very pleased with these results.

Attached Files:

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Doug thanks for the thread. Interesting. I had never heard of it. Might just try it.

13. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Woke up today to find one of the tomato plants leaning heavily from the fruit weight, almost tipped over. Aerogarden makes a version for vegetables that might be more suited for larger, heavier fruiting plants like this, it comes with supports for when the fruit gets larger. I didn't think it would too much of a problem with cherry tomatoes, but I guess a bunch of them do add up. I never expected this sort of fruiting from looking at the pictures in the brocure. I rigged something up temporarily with clothes pins, rubber bands, and twist ties, until I buy some ribbon that I can tie off to the light fixture pole. They claim these are ready in 10-12 weeks, and its been around 10 weeks since planting, but although there are a bunch of tomatoes, none have ripened yet.

Attached Files:

14. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Here's my much larger version of the same thing.

oh no likes this.
  15. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I thought I'd put up a final update on the Aerogarden. After fruiting, the plants were still going strong but the pump quit. I disassembled the kit and cleaned the pump out twice, but roots and fertilizer solids kept getting past the intake filter on the pump and stopping it when it fired up in the morning. Three good plants needed a new home, and a pump has to be ordered from Aerogarden customer service for our next run of whatever we decide to plant this fall. I put the plants in containers on the deck and after a period of adjustment, they flowered again and are again loaded with fruit, about to ripen. Overall it was a worthwhile experience, although I don't think I will do tomatoes in the Aerogarden again. They grew too large and I didn't have the pump clogging problem with lettuce, or herbs, or the space problem.

Here they are now in all their glory.

Attached Files: