any game wardens on here?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by dumpyloser, May 30, 2008.

1. dumpyloser

dumpyloser New Member

State:
    South/North Carolina
    I have a question concerning the operation of boats. The reason I ask for a game warden is because they will be 100% sure. but everyone please chime in

what we fish in:

12 foot john boat with no motor
    2 x 9.5 ft kayaks

Upon leaving a lake in pacolet the game warden road up and talked to us and I asked him a question. The question was, whether it was legal for us to be on the john boat or kayaks at night without meeting the same lighting requirements of a powered boat. He said it was illegal to have they kayaks out at night because they were not rigged for lighting and gave us a boating safety book and left it at that.

after reading the booklet, the book says that as long as the watercraft doesn't have a motor and is less than 23 feet it is only required that each occupant of the vessel have a flashlight on hand to shine at approaching boats.

so we packed up completely and left and went to lake wylie and fished (did pretty good btw for the time we were there) we took only the john boat because there was 3 of us. we did just as the booklet said. we had an LED lantern and multiple flashlights. A boat caming storming out of the creek area behing us and we shined the lights to let him know we were there. he went buy us and circled around and came up and said. "I'm off duty right now, but that is about a 500 dollar fine for fishing without lights." I told him what the book says and he dismissed it and left saying that the other wardens were still patrolling. Now, I know for a fact that the guy was not a game warden because he doesn't know it, but we knew exactly who he was. we continued to fish and other boats came by and kept their distance and we never had another problem.

I just wanted to make sure I was right in what I've been told and read or whether these guys are right. I know it is not the safest thing in the world, but when you don't have money, you don't have money.

I just wish we would have been gamewardens under cover and could have busted him for impersonating an officer

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I would carry the book with me at all times just incase so at least you could make an arguement not that it would help because they are always right.

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    THE GAME WARDEN IS THE WRONG PERSON TO ASK THAT ?. ALL BOATING COMES UNDER THE US COAST GUARD AND THE LAW IS ANY BOAT ON ANY PUBLIC WATERS MUST HAVE A PFD PER PERSON, ONE THROW FLOATING DEVICE,AND BEEN EQIPT WITH PROPER RUNNING LIGHTS AFTER DUSK TO DAWN ( PROPER MEANS BOW AND AFT AND CAN BE SEEN AT LEAST ONE MILE ) OTHER THEN THAT GET YOURSELF READY FOR A BIG TICKET

P.S. THE STATE CAN NOT OVER RULE TYHE COAST GUARD UNLESS THERE LAW IS BETTER

HOPE THIS HELPS IF NOT LOOK IT UP ON THE USCG WEB UNDER OPERATING A BOAT

4. dumpyloser

dumpyloser New Member

State:
    South/North Carolina
    i looked on that website you recommended and am even more confused now then i ever was. I do not have the book that says what i wrote with me or I would type it out word for word. the booklet even shows a picture of somebody in a john boat holding a flashlight at a certain angle. any body else know about this????

I know we don't have to have it registered/numbered because we do not have a motor but I'm not sure about the other one. Does the same apply for a kayak and a john boat or what?

5. dumpyloser

dumpyloser New Member

State:
    South/North Carolina
  6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ryan if it is less that 23ft you do not have to have running lights on the boat as long as there is no powering device and that includes a trolling motor. Now when you anchor you are reguired to have a white light than is visible in all directions on. A flashlight is legal as long as it is steady burrning while anchored. I am not sure the mileage but there is a cuttoff on how far the coast guard extends there jurisdiction. They have jurisdiction every where in the USA but only on certain conditions. Display a lantern or similar light when you are anchored and you are perfectlly legal also display the same or a flashlight while moving for your own saftey. I hope this helps and that booklet should be on the SCDNR web page.

7. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Wal-Mart sells the clamp on lights for jon boats. The front an rear lights and they are very reasonably priced. I'd buy those so as to not having to worry about if your legal or not.:wink: Plus it'll be lots more safer for ya my brother!
    My son-inlaw uses them on his boat and has never had a problem. Just trying to help.

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Well that link didn't work:eek:oooh:

But you'd be surprised at how many game wardens don't really know their regulations or that interpret them their own way:eek:oooh:

All I have to say is tho if ya challenge one you'd better be sure your dead right or it'll cost ya more in the long run.

9. dumpyloser

dumpyloser New Member

State:
    South/North Carolina
    http://www.boat-ed.com/sc/handbook/lights.htm

that link should work.

I just saw the thing about it being anchored. do those lights at walmart use batteries or do you have to have a marine battery to use them. we have a trolling motor, but can't afford a battery and charger and registration. if it is portable and reasonably priced we may go ahead and get those lights you were talking about.

thank you guys for all of your help. looking forwards to hearing more from you!

10. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    10-4 on the batteries!:wink: They use D cells. and are water proof.

11. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I'm not sure what those lights at wal mart work off of but you can go to the camp section and get a small battery operated camp lantern and hang it off a pole of some kind. Should work just as well and probably cheaper than the clamp lite.

12. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    I SAY HIT WALLY WORLD.THE LIGHTS ARE CHEAP ,RUNS ON D BATTERIES.A FEW DOLLARS COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE.:wink:

13. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I have the clamp on lights on mine & they work just fine !!!!!

14. dumpyloser

dumpyloser New Member

State:
    South/North Carolina
    will do guys... thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!

we were there on this past saturday night and it being a weekend the boat ramp had a good number of boats in it (allison creek) do you guys know if it will be like that on a non-holiday friday night? and are there some good spots within paddling distance that usually hold big cats? If you don't wanna give away ur spot i understand that too :)

we paddled out past the first bend to the right when you leave the ramp into the middle of that cove into what seemed like 25-40 ft of water. we would like to keep from crossing over the main part of the lake and hug that bank to stay out of wake.

15. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Doesn't matter too much what the law says, if some idiot runs over you at night because you don't have enough lighting. The laws state minimum requirements in most cases. A flashlight will do for paddling along, but just make sure, for your own safety, that you have enough light for the powered boats to see you, especially when anchored.

16. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I wouldn't rely on a game warden for the answer to this, some may know the facts some may not. Call or stop by and talk to your to your local Coast Guard or Marine Police. Around here it's the State Troopers that run the Marine Police division.

17. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...The reason I ask for a game warden is because they will be 100% sure..."

LOL! Ya, right. They will probably be "sure", correct is another question. :wink:

Anyway...why in the hell would you want to be out on the water in a boat without lights? :confused2:

"...ALL BOATING COMES UNDER THE US COAST GUARD ..."

Yes, but in NC they have power to enforce those laws through the General Statutes.

BTW, there are game wardens on here, but they will probably NOT chime in.

18. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Ryan, the clamp on red and green light is nothing more than a glorified flash light, uses 2 d cell batteries, I have one hanging in the fishing storage aka: junk room still in the pack, pm me your address and I'll send it to ya! then all you will need is a couple batteries :wink:

19. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I wouldn't be on Wylie without lights period........ever.

Go to this link and call someone in the boaters education division, http://www.dnr.sc.gov/admin/divphone.html

The Game Wardens check Lake Johnson a lot I can assure you of that, I work across the road at the plant so I see them often.

20. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I might be able to help with that. I'll look and see if I still have mine and you can get them from me and fishnfwl won't have to send you his. Postage can be much and since he was around Pacolet and I work in Pacolet I can give him mine. If thats good with y'all.