Any flathead catfish fishing in the Sandhills?

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by mcseal2, Aug 11, 2009.

1. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I may be heading up there later this fall and wondered if there were any public areas, rivers I might be able to get permission on, or lakes in that area that had decent flatheads. I don't know much about the area are any of the rivers up there big enough to hold flatheads, or float boats? Thanks for any information you might have.

2. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    be more specific please....there is lots of sand and lots of hills...whats the town??? or closest town????

Merritt....is a sure thing

snake river....I have gotton a few flatties out of there

3. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask

Frank I heard catching fish in Merritt is a crap shoot. Some of the toughest in the state. I heard the only people that catch them there are the locals

4. WaltonsMountain

WaltonsMountain New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Went catfishin and tubing on the Niobrara this past summer w/ the Mrs. Decent fishin around old mill bridge in Valentine. Ask the locals they know about it.

5. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sorry, I should have been more specific on my post.

I would be staying in Valentine, but I am willing to drive to keep up my flathead fishing if possible and have boats that work well on shallow rivers. I'm not looking for anyones secret spot, and any fishing I do would be catch and release so I won't be hurting the population. I catch all my eaters in early spring near home and don't clean fish after early June.

Thanks for the replys, and please let me know if you have any more ideas.

Thanks, Heath

6. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    could be John...the only time I fished merritt is when I was a local:smile2:...I havn't made it back since I moved...

still if your going for flatties in the valentine area....hit merritt.....and take your boat...my fishing spot when I lived in valentine was right past the siphon... the pavement ends and turns into jeep trails...the rocks right there have always been good to me...

the Niobrara is a good spot as well...but this time of year it's nothing but a party on the river...ppl getting tanked....beeds....lots of noise and trash in the river...but there is nothing like being out fishing and seeing boobies all day :roll_eyes:

7. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    we go out there every year and never have a problem catching any our bigest last year was 22lb so and im 7 hrs from there drift fishing is the only wat to go out there

8. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Well thanks for letting me know. Like I said it was all hear say for me. I've never fished it myself but would love to try the snake river end of the lake. That's where I heard they were at.