Any fish?...and newbie questions

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by wannafish, Jul 22, 2007.

1. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    hey y'all .new to the moard..just got a boat and the boy and I went to Dover yesterday and Cumberland City todayby the steam plant .Joey said to look for holes on FF .We found that and casted down in them using every bait imaginable and nothing ..Both days we were out from 6 to 11 Am .Does this happen a lot ? Also any ideas for rod holders and lighting ?We try to make our own stuff .Would go on a older 15' Alum John w/center steer . If anyone can give some pointers I sure would appreciate it.Ryan wants to try the local tourney but not until we can start catching them .I don't want him to lose interest......Is there anything special to go out at night that us newbies might not think of? Thanks

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Welcome to the BOC!!!
    Bait and bait presentation are the key in summer months. Give them what they are feeding on at the time which, right now is small shad and skipjacks, the river is loaded with them here!!!
    In low current conditions when fishing at night from a boat, there are several things you need to watch for:
    1. Barges, these things will sneak up on you if you are not careful (anytime of the year)
    2. Trees and Stumps, Usually found near the banks but, sometimes in places that you least expect them to be.
    3. Water depth, Always try to know the water you are fishing on (daytime scouting trip) before you go at night, sandbars can be a big problem. I would sugjest a decent depthfinder for any night fisherman.

All of these can ruin a great night on the river, if you ain't carefull!!!

3. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to BOC from Arkansas.

4. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    Roy it's been tough fishing on the Cumberland this year due to the wolf creek dam leakage and them repairing it. The waters have been close to winter pool and no current. they have been holding back the gates at cheatham dam.
    but i would say to look for the deepest holes you can find they are going to look for cooler water temps and those deepest drops are maybe where you will find them? at the steam plant they have to shut down generators when the water temps get close to 100 degrees and they have been holding back there water gens too. and it's allot hotter down river from the steam plant..
    Hope this helps ya out?

5. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Roy welcome to the bOC.

6. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    :haha:Welcome to The BOC.:haha: :0a23:

7. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    WELCOME TO THE SITE,
    We got a nite fishing trip planned in the Clarksville Area for sept, and your are welcome to join us, I don't have the time to post the link to it right now, But later I will try and put a link on here, Its in the Tennessee Talk area.Tom

8. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC from Illinois Roy! Its good to have you.

9. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    welcome to the boc-ROY:0a25:

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Roy Welcome to the BOC.Looks like you have recieved some good info. Go catch some. Remember Safety First.:smile2:

11. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcoime to the BOC, as far as bait use fresh skips and shad I might even try a fresh cut gill right now bite seems to be slow maybe that will get you a bite or two

12. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I appreciate all the info ..and yes we noticed the water was real warm.When we would bring the bait up and went to fix it on the hook it was like it just came from a sauna .we will look at the September trip.we are now working on the rod holders/lights/and pulling the seats off the deck as they are great for bass but in the way for cats. Our friend Joey Hall gave us some pointers last year when we got the Skeeter but my power head went and we were out of commission for a while.Now we have the Jon and is actually more fun to fish out of...just don't lean fast I found out...the hard way lol.I want to thank the guy in Clarksville that has the BOC sticker on the back of his truck or I wouldn't have found this site. If anyone wants to get together and fish in the area let me know , would be nice to learn and meet new friends that enjoy the same....Thanks again Roy
    hillbilly7@charter.net

13. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Welcome to the BOC! From Alabama!! you may try looking for creeks and fish where they come into the lake!!

14. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thanks for all the ideas guys , we made rod and light holders today , got everything ready and we are going to try night fishing on Saturday ...will be a 1st.Combined some of the ideas we found in the library .Only difference we didn't see on there , is we added a 3rd battery just for the lights , hate to have a dead main battery , think we will try Dover?by the bridge