Any experience with fish grippers?

Discussion in 'Fishing Weighing Scales' started by alpal16, Mar 1, 2008.

1. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Hi All.

Wondering what peoples experiences have been with those fish grippers that have a built in scale in them. The kind that grab the fish by the bottom lip. Looks like a good way to handle your catch, and most of them come with a built in scale. What do ya'll think? Do they really work that well?

2. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    we use them on our catfishing team they work good if you have a live well you can just unhook them and drop them right in the live well. the only down side is they tear a hole in the fishes lip so you need to be quick and it can be hard to land a catfish with a net it gets even harder when your trying to get their lip but i like them and its a down right cool looking tool to have

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    And when you get a BIG CATFISH on they are gonna slip off. You wanna lose the big ones?????? Not worth the risk! Besides the hole in the lip.

Get them in the net or reach your hand in their mouth like I do and hang on! LOL!!!

4. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Yeah, these are the types I was talking about

5. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I use them all the time in both fresh and salt and have never torn a hole in the lip. the grippers grasp the lower jawbone.
    In saltwater you don't stick your hand in most fishes mouths unless you are done using your fingers.

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    they are ok,I dont use them though just never seen the need to have them

7. shadsides

shadsides New Member

State:
    kansas
    big fish are worth a little blood gotta use your hands