Any Electricians in the House?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i want to put 3 phase in my shop for a couple of big electric motors. what will it take? i guess i am going to need a different box....what problems am i likely to run into?

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Phil, look in the phone book under ELECTRICIAN

not gonna have ya missin the next Keystone cause ya fried yerself. Heck, ya missed last years do to trying to ride a hydrolic lift like it was a bull, no tellin what you'd do with the wirein

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    that's what i like about the brotherhood.....all this encouragement:embarassed:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    3 phase what? 480v, 240v, or 208v?
    Do you have 3 phase available at the shop? If not the power company will more then likely charge you to run another leg from wherever.
    To run that one wire here for the feedmill 3 miles was 15 grand 20 years ago.

You'll need a 3 phase panel and breakers. 3 phase is a whole nother ballgame price wise. It aint cheap and you wont find anything 3 phase in the box stores like Lowe's.
    If you need 480v, you'll need 2 panels. 1-277/480v panel, a transformer, and a 120/208 volt panel.

I would either replace the motors or get phase converters.
    Honestly, to have to pay whats it going to cost to go to 3 phase it wouldnt be worth it unless you converted everything in the shop to 3 phase especially the high demand items like heating and cooling, compressors, etc. Atleast over time it would pay for itself through energy savings.

Good luck.

5. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I agree with Mark, from a price standpoint the phase converter would be best, I might know where there is one fairly cheap, I will do some checking just in case you want to go that way.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Grizzly tools sells them although those things can be pricey depending on the size of the motor.
    Look on the government auction sites and Ebay.

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i've looked at the converters. too pricey...my compressor will be 7.5hp.

i have occassional access to used 3 phase 220V boxes. i'll just wait for one i can use - thanks for the advice guys

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Phil. You'll have to build an entire new service from top to bottom.
    The converter would be cheaper:big_smile:
    You aint seen the price of wire lately? Scrap is selling for 3 dollars a pound.