Any dove hunters out there?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by delbert bumbleshoot, Aug 5, 2008.

1. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Do any of you guys hunt dove? My relatives own 8,000 acres around Beloit but I don't have anywhere in short driving distance of Kc or Topeka.A couple years ago there were so many doves it was like the Ho Chi Minh trail. No matter how many of the little boogers you dropped they just kept coming.I hunkered down behind a hay bale and waited between 2 fields of sunflowers. When a couple flew over and I blasted them hundreds and hundreds of doves came out of both fields. I was shooting for my own self defense. Ever seen the Hitchcock movie the birds. It was like Argentina or something. The statute of limitations has not run out yet so I can't give the death toll. But now nobody around there is growing any sunflowers.There are a couple of good state areas by Glen Elder.But the last couple of years have stunk there. Didn't even go there last year. I limited out a couple of times at the state sunflower plot north of La Cygne lake. All the pressure ran the birds off quickly. But it is on my way to Pleasonton so we did the cast and blast routine 5-6 times. Go real early in the mornig stop by for an hour shoot a few doves, go catch 50 or 60 channel cats at pleasonton and stop back by for the evenig hunt for an hour or so. My wife says "You aren't just gonna leave your boat and all your fishing gear on the road in the middle of nowhere are you?" Well I'm sitting on a bucket 30 yards away with a loaded Benelli 12 gauge I'd feel sorry for the thief that tries to mess with it? If anybody wants to go/ has any spots close by we can hook up. I had to get rid of my big truck so I got a little bitty car that gets 35 mpg.

Attached Files:

• 057.jpg
      057.jpg
      File size:
      14.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Eric
    Not to many things I like to do more than shoot dove and catch cats. I grew up in southeast Kansas and have had some real hot spots over the years. Sense I moved up around KC I have never found a place worth spit. I might be interested in tagging along if you are serious.
    I shoot a benelli too.

3. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Only thing i love better the fishing is hunting season all of them. I live down by wichita. Its hard to find a good dove field period any where you are at. Wish everyone good luck this year. If i am ever up that way i will let you guys know and we can go shoot some. I have a good dog that works great. I dont even have to get off of my chair he goes and gets them for me. So i just get to shoot them its awesome:wink:

4. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    seems I see the most doves right down the street from my house on power lines in the city.Haven't talked to my relatives yet about whether there is any doves yet. Last year was the first year we didn't go out to Beloit for dove season.Will try to call Terry Mills { the local game warden} and make sure the same area will be open there at 399th and metcalf. Wan't very many doves there it seemed like opening weekend there were more hunters than doves.But I did get my limit twice.There was hardly anybody there after opening weekend.

5. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    We usually hit a couple ponds around here. It is either feast or famine it seems.

6. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Hundreds of them all over the place one day... a little cold weather rolls in and bam they're all gone.You are exactly right.Sunflowers and dry waether that's the key. If it's real wet out and they can get water anywhere they aren't gonna be clustered up.Sometimes a cold spell up north will push new ones in.

7. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    I have aseveral water holes we hunt on a rotation. Last year we shot doves until the end of season. Looking forward to hunting them again with a steel shot reload I found!

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    good luck fellas. its getting close. ill be chasing them down with my rem 1100 shortly. there tasty. i soak them in milk overnight in fridge. cut the breast down breast bone and insert a sliver of jalapeno pepper on either side. wrap in bacon and toothpick it. grill till bacon is good and browned and coat with BBQ sauce. grill till the sauce begins so bubble and brown.

its darn hard to beat a grill full of them and a cold beer. happy huntings from il.

9. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    What part of Kansas are you in?:cool2:... My relatives have property in Mitchell,Cloud and Jewell county...No sunflowers this year though. Got 'em trying to arrange us some though.

10. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    Delbert, I'm from Hoxie, out here in the northwest part of the state. I've hunted geese and ducks down that way, at both Glen Elder, and Jamestown. I'll take G.E. every time. We normally don't hunt feed fields, mostly because they're hard to get permission to hunt. My big beef out here are the guys in the back of trucks shooting them off the power lines. Now tell me, just how hard is that? Our water holes let us enjoy some daytime hunting near trees, then head to the holes and knock the snot out of them. 2 years ago I used a single shot just so I wouldn't limit so fast. Last year I tried a single shot 410. That was a big hoot!! Now every once in a while we find a wheat stubble field full of wild sunflowers. That can get real hot, as can wild marijuana patches. I know of a couple that have tons of doves, and 1 is a WIHA area!! Plus it has a water hole to boot!!

11. BloomKSU

BloomKSU New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I go to a place around the Clay Center area its public hunting with sunflowers one side and timber on the other, usually pretty packed with hunters opening day but i got a few last year. I also found a place up near Tuttle Creek on the north side, i deer hunted there last year and im gonna try to Dove hunt it this year early.