any custom rifle owners out there? What type of custom firearm you have?

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by 223reload, Jan 19, 2008.

1. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just wonderin how many here own a custom rifle ,whether out right or self customized ,tell us whatcha got . I am considerin getting one built and would like some input on quality ,price ranges ,etc.

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ed will see this post and thankyou.

I have never owned a custom, but seen a few that I was jealous of. Good thread!

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Paul,I posted this hopin to get some wind from both ED and Terry :big_smile:

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Once Ed starts talking custom Firearms, you got him hooked, like a big ole catfish on a juicy catalpa worm. Just dont hurt him! :smile2:

CPR ED gently back into the general forum(s) :smile2:

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont normally do this but........Bump

6. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I have a Ljutic Mono gun which is a custom built 12 gauge trap gun, I will dig it out at get a pic of it posted.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    bumpin this back up,I know some of yall gotta have somethink. Even if its a ruger 10/22.tell us about it an pics would be nice. I'm wanting to have a custom rifle built to fit me and mostly just for the accuracy ,but anyhoo.

8. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Folks,
    I started out with a .300 weatherby magnum, Trigger set at 3.2 pounds, free floated, metal bedded, Gentry muzzle brake, simms resonator, silver creek stock, rockport Bipod, monopod. The gun smith did an outstanding job putting it all together. Leopold scope mounts, 4x20 x44 mil dot scope 1/8 moa.

I have shot three deer and three foxes none moved once hit.
    No deer this year , but cleared out the foxes for a while.

Better pic on profile.

9. smokeeater3302

smokeeater3302 New Member

State:
    il
    I would like to let know that I do have a custom , Just wish that I would have been to one to do the work . I have done refin jobs since I was a little boy , and have a knack for getting something to work or look right .

I have a 98k mauser that my Grand pa built for me . It has a hand turned walnut stock with the barrell milled down were the ring and front post one were. It was blued in grandma's wood cook stove and is a deep almost black color . I know that it isnt worth any thing but a 10 but I wouldnt take $5,000 for it . It locks up safe tight and shoots moa groups at 200yds . Just wish that I could do more than shoot yotes with it here in IL

10. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ive always had the wantin to build with that action chambered in .35 whelan which is a .30-06 necked up but ill probly never see it :angry: :big_smile::cool2:

11. psychobilly

psychobilly New Member

State:
    texas
    I've got 2 custom built rifles 223reload. Both are STWs. One has a Shilen Bull barrel and the other has normal size Shilen. The Bull barrel one started out as a .7mm Savage and has a 8oz trigger on it **it will turn sown to 4oz. Great shooter, I can, and have put 5 shots in a group that a dime would cover completely. Not practicle for hunting as I learned the hard way.... You ain't carrying it ALL day.... I have taken a coyote at 400 yards and a Black Spring Bok at 500. It'll shoot!

The other started out as a .300 weatherby , Vangaurd model. Has all the bells and whistles. I laid it in a Richard's Microfit stock and glass bedded it. It is teflon coated and has a Mark 4 6.5-20X50mm *30mm main tube* LR/T Illum ret scope sitting on top. Yessir, it's a long range, fail safe, reach out and kill'em dead rifle! I took 2 deer last year with it, it's first year in the field right at dusk where if it wasn't for the ill ret I wouldn't have got the shot. I also shot a Tom cat stalking squirrel in my pasture in the head at 100yards... It shoots great too.

There's one out there that's HOTTER than the ole STW nad it's called the Hot Tamale. Built by some ole boy named Ferguson if memory serves me....

I use my ole trusty .222 CZ in the woods. The STW is stricktly for Mexico as it's WIDE open there...

what kind you have???

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Since you said we could include 'self customized', here goes. In 1967 or 1968 I bought an old British .303 Engield for $15 at a sporting goods store that was running a sale on them. (Yeah, I wish I had bought 2 or 3 of them.) My idea was to make a short-distance deer rifle out of it. I recarved and refinished the stock by hand, making it into a sporter type stock, with 15 coats of finish on it, handrubbed with rottenstone and linseed oil. Then I cut the barrel off to 18.5", ending up with a rifle about the same length as an M1 Carbine, and not much more weight. I could hold it with one hand like a pistol to shoot it if I wanted. In 1970, when I bought a Remington 760 in .270 caliber, I had a gunsmith remove the iron sights off it and put them onto the .303, since the 760 had a scope, and I never used the iron sights. Once the new sights were installed, I could hit a nickel 3 out of 5 times at 60 yards, shooting from a rest. That was as accurate as I needed for shooting under 100 yards, and it's made me a real good deer rifle for that range hunting. I generally have the .270 sighted in for 300 yards for longer range hunting.

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    HI 223 reload,
    I've owned several "custom" rifles.. My favorite ws a .257 Ackley Improved. Built on a 1934 Chech(BRNO) 98 Mauser action. I had a Match grade barrel slightly heavier than normal, all polished up nicely and blued. Set it in a real nice piece of curly walnut, Glass bedded it, adj. trigger(Timney). and a nice Scope, at the time,,,
    The thing would shoot 3 shots at 100 yds you could cover with a .38 case ....Oh, it was a good lookin' thing..It slipped away from me years ago...

Nother one I had I called my junkyard rifle.. I traded something or other for a commercial Mark X mauser action. Bought a Match grade-Gain twist barrel. and had it chambered for 7mm Rem Mag. Put it in a cheap synthetic stock, glass bedded it, and put a Leupold 3 X 9 scope on it. Worked up a real nice load and the thing would shoot 1/2 MOA. with 160 gr Noslers Partitions a 3100 fps. Nice tool.
    You got me thinkin' I've had several "Modified" units,, mostly adj. triggers and glass bedding. If I can't get them to shoot after that.. I "accurize" them,, (sell at a gun show)!!!!
    I currently shoot several Winchester's pretty much stock, One in 7mm Rem Mag, and another favorite .375 H&H Belted Magnum. They both shoot 1 MOA, or less. And my 7 has taken a lot of game.. I've killed game with the 3/8's mag, but, use the 7 more. Both of those are glass bedded, they come with factory adj, triggers. Both carry Leupold glass.
    One time I ended up with a Remington .30-06, with a broken stock, and an old German mauser with a shot out barrel.. I took all the furniture off the Mauser, and Put the Rem. machinery in the german wood, Got it workin pretty good with open sights, called it my Mausington...

all fun stuff.. The .257 was the finest one. Thinkin' about it now, I'm kinda sad it got gone :sad2:

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have never owned A custom rifle. The gun that I consider the perfect fit for me is a Model 7 Remington in 308 Win. cal... It is built around a short action reciever . It is a smaller made gun than the 700 they make and it fits me better. Guess it would be custom for fit as I ordered the gun though a local sporting goods store.

15. snomad

snomad New Member

State:
    Manitoba
    For me it is a Husqvarna lightweight with schnabel foreend that started out as a .308 with side flip mount holding a 2.5X scope along with iron sights. A classic modern mauser action with controlled feeding. Prairie Gunworks here put a 23" Douglas pencil barrel in 30.06 on it, bedded, freefloated and further accurized it. I recently changed the Pachmyr recoil pad to a Simms. A Simmons Aetec in 3.8-12 X 50 with adjustable objective sits on top. It just loves the Hornady light magnums in 150 grain. It is a very light rifle with recoil to match, hence the change to the Simms.

16. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    richard, i don't have it now but i once had a rifle that was built by the adobe gun shop in new mexico. it was a 6mm built on a mauser action. that was the best shooting rifle i have ever owned. you could drive tacks at 200yds. the shell extractor was weak though and i traded it for a remington 700. that thing shot like crap. wish i'd have had the insight to have kept the mauser.

17. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've had a few that could be considered custom or customized.

Mauser 98 action, 23" #2 contour Douglas barrel in 7.62x39, Butler Creek synthetic stock. Matte finish action, smooth blue on the barrel, with Weaver bases. BOLD trigger set at 3lbs. It shot ok, it was a .308" barrel shooting .310" bullets (mostly Wolf) groups ran around 2" at 100 yds. Sometimes it would misfeed with that short round in such a long, even with a magazine block in it.

Winchester Model 70 Ranger in 30-06. Had it parkerized and installed a one piece bottom metal unit from Montana Rifleman. Glass bedded it into a Bell & Carlson Carbelite synthetic stock with camo finish. Factory 22" barrel that I hand lapped. I set the trigger at 3lbs (I love the M70 trigger). It is the most accurate rifle out of the box I've fired. It was literally a one hole rifle with several different factory loads. I ended up selling it, because a guy at deer camp offered me almost THREE times what I had in it, after he shot it. I still regret it. :confused2:

Remington 7400 in 30-06. It was a x-mas present from my girlfriend 12 years ago (now my wife). It had a rough spot in the barrel about an inch from the muzzle, so I sent it off and had the barrel chopped to 20", sights remounted and the whole thing parkerized. Installed a Bell & Carlson stock set and found a small local shop that made trigger springs for 7400/7600/870/1100 triggers. I bought a spring and the pull when from 6lbs down to slightly less than 3lbs. I installed a set screw in the trigger guard to eliminate over-travel (like a T/C Encore has). Groups went from 2"+ with its best loads down to 1" or a bit less with it's best loads. I'll never sell this one, since she bought it for me. People like to dog the 7400 rifles, but this one has gone non-stop since I've had it. As long as I don't let the action get too grimy, it'll run with anything. Handles extremely well too.

18. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I have an Argentine Mauser 7.65 that I have had since I was in Junior High. I have done a little work on it as the years have gone by. First thing was to get the barrel cut down and new front sight on it. Next I took the military stock off and put a walnut stock with left hand cheek rest. Then it sort of sat for a while before I picked it back up again. Next I had the bolt turned down and it was drilled and tapped for new scope. I think the next thing I did to it was have some inlay work done to the walnut stock. Now it is truly a one of a kind. Then a couple years ago I put a new Nikon 3x9 scope on it. I am not happy with that job. The gunsmith set the scope down too low. That will be the next thing I do to it. Raise the scope on it. I might even move that scope to another rifle and put on a 50mm on it.

19. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Never had a custom. Thought about it a few times. I have had lots of guns but all of them are are pretty common. Tell us what your dreaming about Richard. What cal. or what your planning to shoot with it?

20. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    my first custum was a single shot 22 ,I bought for a $1.50 at a church auction when i was 9. had a bad spot in the barrel had to shorten with a hack saw used a hose clamp and a 90 degree bent nail for a front site used a rubber band to assist the worn out fireing pin spring, i guess thats why my folks let me buy it they never thought i would get it to work. mom didn't want me to have a bb gun. in high school I took my 303 british to metals class milled off the lugs for the stripper clips, cut the barrel down and recrowned it, how times have changed. now i have 3 custom 300 wby mark V built by Glenn Pierce you can google him . nice rifles!