Any crappie being caught?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Bill D Curtis, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    Just wondering if anyone is having any luck catching crappie and where?

2. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We are catching them deep (10-12 ft) water hugged tight to structures. I would guess the best crappie fishing at this time would be on ponds. We had some KILLER ponds around here that a person could catch as many as they wanted and have a great shot at a few 2 pounders...but those days are gone. Nobody around here will allow people on their ponds. The old land owners have passed on and the newer version are not as nice in this area. They welcome people to come out and help them put out grass fires or are not afraid to ask for hey and help catching stray livestock...but they dont want you on their ponds.

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    1. Invite them to the BOC.
    2. Pick up the trash on the road in front of their house, then introduce yourself. Visit with them. Get to know them... it won't hurt to invite them to go fishing with you on the lake or river. The trick is to become friends... not just people that live near one another...
    3. Invite them to a backyard BBQ
    4. Be a REAL friend and neighbor.
    5. When you become true friends, you will trust each other and walls will come down.

4. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    AMEN Albert!

catman george

5. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i hate to say it albert but your a dieing breed,there arnt to many of you good guys left anymore!guys doing it the way it should be done.

6. osageCo_flathead

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well see Albert it's just not that simple. As my post indicated I have been very nice to these people. Helped them put out grass fires that threatened their home and livestock. Helped coral their livestock when it was out and running on the road. I have never been disrespectful of these guys whatsoever. When I asked about fishing ONE of their 30 + pounds spread out over 1,000 of acres they acted offended I asked. The old land owners were very nice people and we would help them just the same. Dont get me wrong, I did it out of kindness....not for a fishing spot, but these people dont even fish...it is their land and I respect that. But you dont have to be a snot and act as though you are above everyone around you until you need their help if you know what I mean. They are not from this area and feel as though people from this area are "simpletons". This is not a rant directed at you sir, its just a note of frustration pointed at these guys over an area that was open for 100 years for people and the people always took care of it. But, in the end it is their land, and they will need help with the fires again this year and those same "simple" people will do everything with in their power to help out again. Thank God for "simple" people...

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My so called fishing buddy went out on Eufala yesterday without me and said they slayed them. They were using jigs but said the guys using minows were really wearing them out. I forgot to ask him were, but he said they were fishing under a bridge.

8. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    just guessing, but perhaps its a ratio thing. like 2 out of 10 people respect the land owner, clean up behind there selves, and understand the wishes of the land owner. maybe a lot of them have been abused so many times that they don't trust anyone. my friend here in Guthrie has any number of ponds to fish. but... he was raised here and lived here all his life. my grandparents had a farm in Velma Oklahoma when we were kids. it was always open to hunting and fishing just by asking. so was all the other property around them. but... that was when everyone new everyone and there kids,grandkids, etc. now seems like no one wants to get to know anyone. i know my grand parents were lonely and loved it when someone came to visit. just sit and talk for a day under the shade. seems no one has the time or desire to do that anymore. this brings on doubt and wonder and hence no you can't fish. as i have grown up now i miss being able to sit and visit, i now understand the history that i missed. i am a lucky one, i can still get in most anywhere down there, and always am curious as to what and how everyone is doing, so i make the time to sit and visit anytime i am there, fishing or not.

9. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    here in mo i caught 17 nice crappie wed. at goose creek lake i was using a swimming minnow on grass flats

10. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    hey thanks to xringer3 and superman you guys seem to be the only ones who understood the question. Talk about athread losing it's fiber if I wanted to know about gaining acsess to private property thats what Iwould have asked

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Aww, don't be too hard on them, lol. Conversation sparks conversasion. I'm kinda new, but noticed that on alot of threads, some topics or information in them spark other good subjects to talk about. That happens in face to face conversations as well. I always try to stear it another direction like that when I'm talking to my wife, LOL!

Back on the subject, the crappie have also been biting at Three Forks Harbor in Muskogee. Sorry, I forgot to mention that the other day, on minnows and jigs. They were around the docks, and were the canal opens into the harbor area.

12. osageCo_flathead

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sorry, I was not attempting to hijack your thread or be rude. Being rude on an Internet site makes little sense when one really thinks about it. I was just responding to a response to my post...anyway I caught over 20 this weekend fishing 7ft with a slip cork up against a concrete wall. I was using a mix of black and rosie red minnows, we caught zero on jigs...hope that helps and sorry about taking the "fiber" from your thread.

13. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Billy- I see your point. My thought on your concern about the ranchers are that they are strangers in a strange land. They are the outsiders and although they may respect your kindness, they still do not know you well enough to know if they can trust you on their property. They may want to know 2 things: Who are you and what do REALLY want from them. It will take time for them to feel comfortable with you. Be friendly, thoughtful, trustworthy and their hearts may soften. I have done this since college days in the early 70's and I have access to hunt and fish with friends on a couple hundred thousand acres in multple states. If you are friendly time will take care of the concern.

catman george

14. barney leonard

barney leonard New Member

State:
    Mannford,OK
    Bill the crappie are staring to bite out on Thunderbird on minnows and jigs

15. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Arcadia Lake.

Just before dark.

If your on a boat you can catch crappie at any of the marked brushpiles.

Its 9 pm and Im fixing to go out there. Ill let you know.

16. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Went to Claremore lake today crappie were being caught on jigs,and shinners in about 12-10' of water,fishing was better in the morning,and slowed as the day progressed.I didn't catch any cats:sad2:

17. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mike - The fishing slowed because the crappie backed off the bank for the day. Back off the bank and you should find them in approx 8' of water suspended. The crappie will move shallow again in the eveniing and continue spawning during the night.

catman george

18. Okie Jim

Okie Jim New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Caught 23 today wading the reeds on tube jigs,all males.

19. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Well I wasn't really fishing it was more of a family-outing.We just fished off the bank with my littleones doing all the catching.We were right off the dock were all the crappie were being caught,I just thought I'd report what was going on.I have to put some distance between my 5yearold and everyone elses lines:wink: .He sat still long enough to catch 2,and my 7yearold daughter caught 4.They had a good time and thats whats important.I'll go fishing with adults soon:big_smile: