Any Coyote hunters out there ?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by FlatheadManiacScott, Jan 25, 2010.

1. FlatheadManiacScott

FlatheadManiacScott New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Heres my personal set up :
    Remington 700SPS in 22-250 cal.
    Mossberg 500 w/ Carlson dead coyote choke tube , US hunter bi-pod shooting 3" heavy shot loads

Scott

Attached Files:

2. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    NICE SET UPS.:cowboy:

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Not enough here to even try hunting them. The ones you hear about nobody ever really sees, if yo know what i mean.

4. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I also utilize a Remington 700 SPS in .22-250. Also carry a bull barelled Savage in .223 sometimes. I load 55 grain Sierra Blitz Kings for the .22-250 and 50 grain Sierra Blitz Kings for the .223.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm not a hard core coyote caller any more,I was into trapping and calling in the money years back in the early 80's. Nowdays its more of a regular hunting day,tho I still skin em and utilize the pelt. My setup is a Remington 788 in .223 topped with a Tasco T/V 6-24x50 scope I shoot handloads of 52 grain Speer HP over a charge of H 380

6. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Give them a month or two!!! I was seeing them in the Tampa Florida area 3 years ago, just before we moved. I saw them run from the USF campus to the golf course across the road.

7. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Yep they're a furry cockroach. We trap and hunt them. In the summer I prefer bigger calibers .308, 30-06 etc and magnum 12ga bb type loads as we have to destroy the carcass anyhow. In the fall/winter we drop down to smaller centerfire calibers and save the pelts although they are about worthless from here(top offer of $1 this year for 2 or 3 of 17 or so). I have a scoped SKS that I really like for fur hunting, also .22-250 .222, .223/5.56, .22 Hornet, blackpowder muzzleloading rifles too. Theres not many calibers we dont or havent used at one time or another. If I had to pick one for year 'round yote hunting I'd go with the .223 with moderate priced/powered cartridges. Ive used alot of military surplus FMJ's and brass with good results though.

8. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    I saw something weird yesterday. I was out cutting wood and when I finished I noticed a large beautifully furred coyote going across the hay field. This dude was really furred out nice. Then another came out maybe 20 yards behind trotting along . Just then 2 cur dogs came out and also followed about 30 yards behind. They were not in pursuit or anything just like they were part of the pack. I am still scratching my head about that.

9. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Feral dogs pack up with coyotes here alot. As long as the feral dog is big enough to not be eaten initialy the yotes accept them into the pack. When they cross breed you get coydogs, an absolute menace to beast and man. No fear of man and they are usually about 20lbs heavier then a yote and have a very bad dispostion. They are the very reason I started dispatching some trapped critters with a firearm. I use a .22 magnum now for dispatching yotes and coydogs. Sometimes I stay back about 60 yards and take them out with the SKS. Coydogs are the critters I believe will be involved when the first attacks on humans start being publicized. Ive had several encounters that still raise the hair on my neck. Could be the first you seen was a bitch in heat as this is the yote breeding season. The others were probably following to try and get a chance to breed. Much like a doe in heat and a parade of bucks.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  10. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I call them. I have a .223 stevens, 22-250 Remington 700 and a .223/12 Savage. I also shoot the 52 gr. HP from speer. I have used that bullet for 35 years. You just can't beat the flying ash tray from Speer.