Any butchers in here?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catmaster, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I have been a butcher for about 4 years and I was wondering if there were anyone else in this sight who does some kind of meat processing? (the slaughter and butcher part of it)

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I butchered three catfish tonight LOL

3. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    my grandfather own a slaughter house most of my life i was on the kill floor 99.99% of the time. but i did do some boning and wrapping not much butchering i was to helpful on the kill floor

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey

OK, So did ya FRY them or BROIL them!!!

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I know of 1 Brother who is a meat cutter, jdstraka. He'll be along in a minute.

st

6. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    That would be broiled cajun style :002: See Tom I told ya I catch catfish once in a while LOL

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Erick. Yep been doing it now for over 40 years now. I have owned two packing plants and 3 reatil outlets over the years. It is sorta a dying trade you don't see to many young folks getting into the trade any moore.I am currently finishing out my career running a large opperation for wal-mart (10 million Dollars annually) All the meat comes in pre packaged now. I have only one other journeyman meatcutter working for Me out of 40 people Boy how things have changed.You ask some of my employees where a cut of meat comes from and there answer would be(Right here out of this box) They woulden't have any idea of how the beef was butchered or how to break it into primal cuts But then again theres no need for them to know and Wal-mart dosent want to pay for that experience either. Its a sad state of affairs if you ask me but times change and if your not willing to change with them you will be left behind. I still have a brother that ownes an old fashioned Butcher shop where we make homemade sausage and smoke hams and bacon so I can still jump in and help if the mood hit me. I know I shure miss it.I Know in My prime I could butcher a Beef by Myself from start to finish have it hung up and split and ready to put in the chill cooler in 15 minutes! It is shure nice to meet you Erick, Your Friend and BOC Brother from Iowa. J.D.straka

8. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Wow 15 mins till it was split and hangin allways took me 30-45 mins but i had to salt the hide and clean the stomach split the skull tag all the organs the hole 9 yards lol

9. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    that was the longest minute of my life! LOL:lol:

10. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Well I worked along side some meat cutters at Schnucks for a year. I was a meat wrapper, seller, saw cleaner, floor scrubber and any other vile duty they decided needed done. It was fun and pretty interesting, they sell only Black Angus beef and i learned quite a bit. Yep, now I can tell the difference between a rump roast, a chuck roast, a chuck tender roast, an eye of round roast and I did discover the most tasty steak ever....the CHUCK EYE!!! Not the chuck steak, got to include the eye, kinda like the ribeye but a little more fat.....good stuff! Oh one last thing, butchers know a TON of dirty jokes....lol

egg

11. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    My brother and I are opening a brand new meat processing plant

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am a music butcher
    sang one year at a kids party, next year I was told they didn't need any more butchered songs so I don't sing any more.

I didn't tell them I know this but I figure they have me on tape from the year before...LOL...They are afraid they will have to pay me...Yea, thats it, must b

13. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Only thing that I butcher is that dang Turkey at Thanksgiving.lol