Any brothers in Idaho - Any Good catfishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL IDAHO TALK' started by jblahuta, Jan 11, 2006.

1. jblahuta

jblahuta New Member

State:
    texas
    The military will be moving me to Mountain home in may and was wondering if there is any body there and if there are even any catfish in that state.

2. GregRobinson

GregRobinson New Member

State:
    Walla Walla Washington
    I'm actually from Washington, but have done a bit of fishing in Idaho. I've caught some channel cats out of the snake river, and most lakes will at least have bullheads in them. My experience has been more in the panhandle region, but I pulled up Mountain Home on Mapquest and it does look like there's a few decent sized reservoirs around worth checking out once you get down there. Good luck!

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    When I was stationed in Ogden Utah, some of the lakes around there had Channel Cats so I don't see why you shouldn't find them just north of there..good luck!

4. jblahuta

jblahuta New Member

State:
    texas
    thanks for the replies and maybe once i figure out the weird laws with hunting and fishing maybe if anyone is around there we can hook and catch some fish. bait rules are weird and only being able to use one rod is well depressing.

5. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    My son is also stationed at Mountain Home. He took me fishing when we went to visit about two years ago. BELIEVE ME, Idaho folks have one thing on their minds --- TROUT. All their laws revolve around the almighty trout, one rod, barbless hooks, single hooks and for gosh sakes don't get caught with live bait in their special trout waters. That being said, they do have some nice reserviors and some good flowing and deep rivers. Once you get the laws down you might have some fine fishing all to yourself. You will get some criticism if you are seen carrying one of our "broom handle" cat rods when everyone else has fly rods.

6. jblahuta

jblahuta New Member

State:
    texas
    i hear you there on the messed up laws. i have always heard that about these trout states and i am finding that out as i research the laws while getting ready to go there. for sure going to take a while to get used to the rules. well what does your son do out there. well look forward to hearing more from you.

7. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    His name is Mitch. He's a senior Airman in avionics.

8. jblahuta

jblahuta New Member

State:
    texas
    oh cool that is what i do. is he a F-15 or F-16 guy. small world in our career field. my name is john

9. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Sorry about the late response, John but my log on and password got messed up and I had to get everything reset. In response to your question, Mitch works on F-15s.

10. jblahuta

jblahuta New Member

State:
    texas
    that is cool i will for sure see him there whether i know it or not i am sure since we share test equipment at times when ours is broken

11. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    I have had that very conversation with Mitch. The aerospace field is a very small community indeed. I work for Lockheed and although I am located in Georgia my paychecks come from Fort Worth (yup, where they build the f-16s). He said he is in the "B" shop. That doesn't mean anything to me but maybe it will help you find him. He also said he is known as "Herb".

12. jblahuta

jblahuta New Member

State:
    texas
    yeh i will have to find him out there. b shop means fuels and flight controls basically. well i will have to see if i can find him and try to go fishing and hunting if he likes that.

13. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    jblauta... Mountain Home will be close to some great Catfishing. Im from the northern part of the state but I know there is good fishing in the Snake River. Cat fishing in Idaho is really on the back burner, but if you ask around Im sure you will find a good spot.

14. sch42

sch42 New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Im from boise and fish the snake pretty often with good luck but its still early for Idaho but I pulled out 3 10 pound cats last weekend

15. keb

keb New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Hi! I have been on the snake south of Marsing with a friend and the fishing has been great ... 5# plus is common. I use a light tackle so the fighting is great too. His bait is a stink bait the consistancy of peanut butter from Iowa and nothing I have used compares to it. It is like they are all waiting for our hooks loaded with this stuff! Most of the people I know are fishing at Map Rock and doing really well. But anyway ... it is good to see another Idaho catfish!

16. awade208

awade208 New Member

State:
    Idaho
    HEY THERE MY NAME IS ANDY AND I HAVE BEEN DOWN ALONG MAP ROCK DOING ALOT OF FISHING THIS YEAR AND I HAVE BEEN DOING GREAT. I HAVE NOT COME OFF THE RIVER WITH LESS THAN 3 CATFISH WEIGHING 5 TO 8 LBS. SO ANYWAY WERE CAN I GET A HAT LIKE THE ONE YOU ARE WEARING?

17. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    How about a report mattm? Id like to hear if you have done any good. I haven't been out for cats this year. We have a few lakes with them up here now in the panhandle, but I usually go down on the snake near Weiser. Not very many serious catfishermen in Idaho. You can tell that by all the action on this Idaho forum...