any body know anything about lone wolf barrels

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by chambers bd, Apr 4, 2008.

1. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I ordered a 40 s & w mod 22 extended barrel for my glock it suppose to fit a mod 22 and be like .83 longer. My question anyone had one or do you know how good a stainless steel extended barrel is for the mod 22?:smile2:

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've had a couple of students that had one added to their gun before they brought it to class. They thought it would make the gun shoot better. What they didn't realize is they were the ones shooting the gun, not the barrel, LOL. I havne't seen any improvement over the factory barrel but have seen that some of them are not as reliable as the factory. Some of them require minor fitting to get them to work right and still don't have any improvement over factory. You've got to be a master bullseye shooter to really see any tighter groups out of your glock than the factory barrel will deliver.

About the only advantage I've seen with them is that they have cut rifling so you can shoot the cheaper cast bullets in them as you can't with the factory barrel.

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Vince,
    I looked thu the barrel and it seems all the lands and groves are almost gone so I like the mod 22 glock in 40 s&w but it was a used weapon when I got it.
    Im a fairly good marksman and held my own on military ranges for over 20 years. It just did not seem as good as a .45 or 9mm.
    I put new sights from Isreal (trinium) and I hope a new extended barrel will help.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The factory Glock barrel doesn't come with lands and grooves (Ballard rifling). It is poligonal rifling. It is put on a mandrel that is in the shape of a poligon that twists. Then it is heated and hammered down were the inside of the barrel has the dimensions of the outside of the twisted poligonal mandrel. The result is that the poligonal rifle puts the same twist onthe bullet, but doesn't cut into the jacket like ballard cut rifling. You get less fouling, and a tighter gas seal around the bullet (there's no gas escaping through the gaps that aren't filled in by the bullet in the corner of the barrel grooves. This gives great accuracy and higher velocity.

The only draw back is that if you shoot cast or lead bullets, they can leave a smear of lead in the barrel that now reduces the inner diameter of the barrel and pressures will spike and have blown up guns. The barrels with the poligonal rifling also will not wear out near as fast, that's why they've got some test glocks that have gone over 2 million rounds and still shoot almost as good as the day they were new. If you take a new or slightly used glock barrel and look down it, it will look like the rifling is wore out when in fact it's not, it came from the factory that way.

If you're wanting to shoot cast bullets for economy or to fine a nice light target load to shoot for tight groups, then you wouldn't have wasted your money on the wolf barrel. I've found from reloading for competition, theat the tightest groups for paper punching are from cast bullets in light loads.

5. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Wow, Thank you I did not know that, really thanks!
    Well, I have ordered it I try it the whole thing looks as you said.
    I shoot only bonded ammo, no lead!
    Man thanks I really wondered about it.:cool2:

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    No problem. I've had several people ask me about the rifling looking wore out. As far as a Glock goes, If the rifling is wore out, then the rest of the gun is so wore out that it probably won't shoot! I'd bet that you'd replace the frame a couple times and several of the inner parts several times before you came close to wearing the barrel out. It would probably take your grandkids or great grandkids to wear it out on ya.

7. GlockMan

GlockMan New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Regardless of what you've heard, you will not blow up a Glock just because you shoot a bunch of lead rounds through it.
    I have Torture Tested a Glock 17 and 19 by running all types and manufacture's of rounds through them, inclunding several hundred full lead rounds, no blow up's...
    I have never even heard of a blown up Glock that proved out to be true!

8. jarhead

jarhead New Member

State:
    ohio
    brain i would go with everything x ringer is saying what your getting when u buy that barrel is a conventional twist rifleing so u can shoot lead and ur getting a fully supported chamber in case ur shooting some hot loads while glockman may have done his own torture test do u want to take the chance of getting a cool nickname like one eyed bob or three finger jack dont shoot lead through that factory barrel if it was ok to shoot it they wouldnt have said in the manual not to shoot lead

9. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i agree i have a g23 and would never shoot lead through it regardless of what anyone has to say..if they say not to there must be a reason and powder and metal are two things you dont wanna gamble with but besides that i just got a lone wolf conversion barrel 40 to 9mm to play with and it shot very well extremely accurate and looks pretty cool in the all black gun i was happy with it