any body fish for halibut

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by montgomery#1, Jan 10, 2008.

1. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    any body fish for halibut in alaska or canada. any replys would be nice.thanks in advance.

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I have fished for them in Alaska a couple of times. We have caught them out of the Ketchikan Area and the Homer area/Cooks Inlet (on separate trips). Man now that is a battle to say the least. You never know what you are going to pull up off the bottom. Could be 10 pounds and it could be over a hundred. The largest one I caught was between 80-90 pounds.
    Some of the best tasting fish in the world. A little Krustys pancake batter and a can of beer. YUM, beer batter Halibut.:still_dreaming:
    What were you wanting to know? I am by no means an expert on them but I have caught several of them.

Thanks
    David

3. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    im just wnating to share some experiences. i went to cordova about a 30 minute plain ride from ketchikan. ive only caught them on light tackle none on a normal rod you would use on halibut. the 2 i caught were only 30-35# and man did they fight. i was using my salmon rig with a squid jig. they would take the line off as soon as you would gain it back. what about salmon have you ever caught silvers or kings. ive caught coho (silver) and chums (pinks).

4. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I have caught Kings, Silver, Pinks, and i think the other species we caught was called Dog salmon. We also caught a load of trophy Rainbow Trout and Grayling. I think Alaska is a fisherman's paradise and if I could take the winters i think I would enjoy living around the Anchorage area. It has been several years since I have been up to Alaska but we went several times thought the early to mid 90's. The best fishing I have ever done in my life. We my kids get old enough to appreciate and enjoy the experience I will be taking the whole family up one day. We have done the week long boat trips out of Ketchikan, the fly out daily trips from a lodge base, and stayed on the river for a week at a time. Dropped off by a float plane (Beaver plane) and stayed right on the river with the guide. No that was the best type of trip we had. I loved being out on the river and fishing anytime day or "night" I wanted to. Needless to say i figured I could sleep on the plane ride back home. :smile2:
    I would go back to Alaska at the drop of a hat and would highly recommend it to anyone if they ever have the chance, take it and go.

I caught Kings pushing 50 pounds but my best experience was on an ultra light. I was at the river camp and fishing while everyone else was trying to sleep. I was using a small ultra light for rainbows and grayling in a small cove off the nushagak river. I had caught several when all at once the line started screaming off the reel to toward the main river. I started wading across the inlet and screaming for the guides to get the boat. They came running with the riffle, though a bear was after me I guess.:smile2::crazy::roll_eyes: When they saw I was fighting a fish they jumped in a boat and picked me up. It took what seemed like hours (more like 30-45 minutes) to land the fish. If memory serves me correctly it was over 30 pounds (either 34 or 38 I cannot remember for sure so I will just say over 30#) on 6 pound test. When I let the pressure off the pole the little Mepps Green Lightning spinner I was using just fell out of the fishes mouth. What a memory.:big_smile:

Thanks
    David

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I went with a charter out of Homer back in September. It was a blast, but would have been more fun on my catfish pole. We used their broomstick rods with 3 lb weights, and it was a lot of work just to reel back in without a fish on, let alone with a nice Halibut. Everybody on the boat caught a limit of Halibut, between 20 and 40lbs. I caught 5 little sharks, too, lol.

6. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    well sounds like you had as good of a trip as me you would have had an even more of an awesome time if you would have rented a wonnagin over in cordova. we were catching really small hallibut under the floating cabin and lots of cod and rock fish. those rockfish fight really well for being so small the salmon sharks are even funner than the hallibut and salmon. thanks for the B-S time.

7. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    sounds like you had an awesome time to hope you get to go again in tha near future. and catch some more biggins and send some pics. thanks again.