Any body else travel a lot for work?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by BKS72, Jan 3, 2008.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I fly probably 2-4 times a month and have been spending at least 2 weeks a month on the road for the last 4 or 5 months. Anybody else feel like they live at the airport and various hotels?

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Branden - I drive 23 miles each direction to work but no flying or airports! :crazy: :big_smile:

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I drive 65 miles one way everyday, and have a b in law that works for an oil rig equip company that can put anywhere from 400 to 800 miles in a day sometimes driving back & forth between rigs!!!!! That's alot!!!

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    70 miles each way.
    I've had travelling jobs though. The kind where you see the front door of your house once in 9 months.

I've had a service job that was often putting me behind a windshield 90% of the day. Eventually you get worked back close to home after 10 or 11 hours of that and the phone rings with somebody that has to have you in Charlotte before midnight. Or some grocery store 2 hours away wants you to come watch a power company change a transformer out to make sure its done right? I guess a store full of food and no power causes enormous mind numbing stress.
    Yea, I've travelled with work.
    Done right you can retire early on a travelling job.
    No wife, no kids, on the hot sheet.
    Little ol camper. Place to place getting regular pay, opvertime pay and per diem for every hour you work. If you know how to tuck it away , you'll be sitting pretty.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    About 750 miles a week but thats operatein a train. LOL!

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I drive 100 mile a day, does that count?:big_smile:

7. Wapiti

Wapiti New Member

State:
    CobdenIllinois
    I travel by air about 5 times a year but I put 30 to 40,000 miles on driving all over Illinois, Missouri, Indiana and Kentucky. There have been times I've woken up in a motel room and couldn't remember where I was. That's when you know it is time for a break in the action!

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I've seen your tracks!! You sure get around. LOL

9. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I just turned in paperwork for 3491mi since last fri. does that count?

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I had a job installing material handling systems where I only saw home one weekend a month and did that for 4 years (my wife and son travelled with me for 2 of those years), but that got old:wink:

I got out of that and was a maintenance manager for 5 years, but I found I missed construction oriented work and travelling. Had a chance to get into project management, which is what I've wanted to do for the last 7 or 8 years, but it's a lot of commuting by air:smile2:

I got in from L.A. about 1AM this morning, back to L.A. next week, and Vancouver, B.C. the week after that. But it's better than before since I'm home almost every weekend and the travel actually makes things more interesting.

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    This doesn't count because it's not me but my son-in-law has driven over 2 million miles in the last 14 years. And has a drivers safety award for the 2 million miles. :big_smile:

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I got nothing but respect for guys that drive. When I was doing construction I had to drive a lot (finish a job in CA, head to NC, for example) but once I was there I got to STAY there for a couple of months. Couldn't imagine stopping for a couple of hours and then starting over:crazy:

Anybody that puts up with the goofs on the road today for a living and can make 2 million miles safely is doing a heck of a job!

13. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Yep, spend a lot of time working away from home, but mostly travel by vehicle. Last year worked in Atlanta and Macon,Ga., Charleston,WV, Louisville, Indianapolis, Frankfort, Ky., Milwaukee, Chicago, Salt Lake City and Wyoming.

14. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Thats pretty cool, I used to drive cross country and got 3 safe driving awards and my million mile award back in 1987.
    Now I drive all over Fort Worth mowing peoples yards and average about 1100 miles a week during the spring and summer.