any body catch gills on the fly.

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by montgomery#1, Jan 15, 2008.

1. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    has any body caught bluegill on flys or anythin of that sort any tips would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've caught a lot on the 1/100 oz trout flies and 'black ant patterns

3. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    thanks for the help im just getting into fly fishing and work my way to bass and stripers out in powle. thanks.

4. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I don't fly fish but I know some that does really well catching bluegill and bass fly fishing. He fishes the local golf course ponds.

5. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I get up in the shallows and pound the gills, and perch on many different patterns of flies.

6. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    Hard to beat a foam spider or a scud.Good luck and have fun!!!!

7. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Three flys recommended for gills.
    #1 Black Gnat
    #2 Black Gnat
    #3 Black Gnat

8. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    been doing it for years but with a casting bubble ( the ones that can be filled with water small sized ) and a ultra light spinning rod .

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ill get them on a small fly witha gold bead, not sure what there called, maybe a Black Gnat, not sure.

10. channelcathunter64

channelcathunter64 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    in the spring when the mayflies hatch i use a mayfly pattern and in summer i use a cricket pattern

11. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have taken many nice gills on a fly rod before. hard to beat a small popper when the water gets warm and the are holding around weeds or lily pads. i have also taken them on small hand tied streamers while they are bedding. just strip the streamer right over the bed and they will hit it every time. the best colors i have found were gold, silver, yellow and black.

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Ive caught them on terrestrials and nymphs if you twitch them. Poppers are fun but you have to cut the hackle short or they dont get the hook. That is if the dinky ones dont grab the popper first.

13. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Popper are always fun, and the fish usually aren't too picky about color. Smaller patterns with a gold bead head are deadly for flier, warmouth, gills and bluespots in the smaller creeks around here, and a small bumble bee pattern has proven strong on the shallows of a couple ponds and lakes.

14. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i like to fish for em with my fly rod. dont know what kinda flyes i use though lol. just ask my neighbor and he give me a few.

15. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I always had great luck with mosquito patterns and small poppers.

16. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    There are a lot of folks that think the fly rod is best for bluegills and there are a lot of different patterns tied especially for bluegills. Try the Betts line of flies. I think I've seen some patterns at my local Wal-Mart. The flies I've had the most luck with are the sponge bodied spiders with rubber band legs on a size 10 hook. There are two basic types: closed cell foam bodies and open cell foam bodies. Closed cell tends to float and open cell sinks. Three colors have served well: Black, White and Green. Experiment to see what works for you. Oh, don't worry too much about the color of the rubber bands for the legs. Most often you will find them tied with either white or grey legs but either seems to give you the action the big bluegills are looking for. As for a leader, 4lb monofiliment seems to do the job well enough. The tapered leaders are for timid stream trout. Just like the other BOC folks have said, outside established weed beds seems to be where they are easily found. If you are lucky enough to find a shallow sandy spot where they are nesting try a bead headed nymph.

17. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    thanks for the help. this spring im gonna be geared up for the gills and hopefully some smallmouths at eastcanyon reservoir this spring. lots a fun this spring.

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yep the ol' poppin' bug on a breambuster pole is my favorite way to catch them when it gets warm as mentioned. A ton of fun, and you never have to re-bait! :)
    BB in SC

19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i get that red dail pack of flies at wallyworld. i only have flies tied from muskrats, beavers and mink a guy tied for me as a kid from stuff i trapped. bream are hard on a fly so i use the el cheapos and do great, and i don't tear up my sentimental stuff! try it around dock lights at night, that is also a lot of fun!

20. littlefisher

littlefisher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    i use small poppers and gold ribbed hare ears nymph