Any BOC Members w/ Blind Loved Ones?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by H2O Mellon, Aug 20, 2007.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My dad has had multiple strokes in his left eye. He is legally blind now, but can still see somewhat from his "good" eye. He had another rupture yesterday, resutling in another stay at the emergency room in the Dayton VA center. He is hoping to save what little vision he has, but I know he is scared about loosing all of it.

I was wondering if anyone can relate or give me advice.

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Bryan i'll pray for your dad and your family... I know it might not be the same but my father lost most of his eye sight do to diabetes<sp And i will keep your dad in my prayer's .

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My Daddy was legally Blind.His Blindness came from having Glacoma,it's a condition where there is too much pressure in the eye and I believe it causes pressure on the retina.It was hard on him at first,but Daddy was a Christian so he kinda had a tendency to accept things.Your Mama will have to help out alot in doing the driving and giving meds. Mostly I would say just be there for him and reassure him that you and family will always love him no matter what. One thing we got for Daddy was a tape player so he could listen to books being read. He loved to hear sermons and also he would get tapes of western stories.I believe if you will get in contact with your state Government they will be able to help get something set up for him to have a tape player and to get stories.I will pray for your Daddy Bryan cause I know it's a rough time right now,God Bless you and yours as you go through this with him.Also if he likes to fish,tell him he can still go there are ways to find out if he has a bite or not.Many people go on living even though they are Blind or end up in a wheelchair.If you can just help him to see that life does go on and hopefully he won't get depressed on ya. Mostly just be there for him and ya all show that you love him no matter what his health problem might be.Assure him at all all times he isn't a burden.I hope I have helped somewhat. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know. With much love~~~~~~~~Sister Pat:sad2:

4. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    My father too is leagally blind also. He got a cassete player from the libary of congress FREE!!!! and orders books to listen to also FREE. There are thousands of books and magazines listed in the ordering book. Shipping the tapes both ways is FREE. Those tapes have been a life saver for him. He loved to read.
    Bill

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for all the info. His problems are due to diabetes and glacoma, ironic huh?

6. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Bryan I can relate to your dad, I lost sight in my right eye 3 years ago due to a catarac & Diabetes. Tell your dad to keep his head up. Its something he just has to adjust to. I'm hoping some of the research that I've been hearing about will develope sooner than expected. It is supposed to help many people regain their sight. I also have a brother who is losing his sight due to Glucoma. :sad2:

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I dont know about legally blind but he probably is. My grandfather has lost much of his sight to glaucoma and cataracts. He says about all he can see is red and green dots. He's had numerous surgeries and been taking eyedrops for years with no real relief. He says the hardest thing about it is losing his independence, cant drive anymore. Im going to look into getting him some audio books if I can get him to tell me what he likes, thanks for the idea guys.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I understand the fear involved.I have had Cataract surgery on both eyes.Both turned out great.Then I started losing pressure and vision in my right eye.They figured I had a hole.All test for everything turned out negative.My sight comes and goes at all levels in that eye as it sees fit.Being much of everything in my body does the same,I have been told that it may well be that crazy kind of Cancer that I have.They just don;t know.I just had to learn to live in a very weird and frightening world.I could not handle it at all,so I just turned it over to God.That took care of that!The worse fear and heart ake to handle is the burden that you know you are to your loved ones.Your dad is going to need the feeling of being needed,useful and wanted worse than anything else.Please never forget this with anyone disabled or handicapped in any way.Find ways for them to help you.We need it in the worst way.It does not matter how long it takes us.The most horrible burden that I have ever had was being useless and a burden on my family.It is still my worse problem and very hard to overcome when you have to be potted like a child.You can not live if you are good for nothing.Please never forget what I am telling you.I do believe that many just give up and willingly die because of this.If he gets despondent,be firm.Don;t treat them like a cripple.Tell them to get up off their dead a_s and help you.You have to make them believe.They ain;t fools.This means that you have to find ways that you need and can use them.He loves you.You are his life.Never forget this.I live for and wait like a child on Christmas eve for my son to call or visit or one of you to PM me.It makes my day to be able to do or help anyone in any way.Every post on here is hoping that I am helping someone and not just being a worthless burden on everyone.Sorry about getting carried away.It is just that I live with it every waking minute of my life as does every other crippled or handicapped person.Yes we need you.We need you to need us worst of all.If you don;t,we and you are better off with us dead.This is a simple and true fact of life.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    H2O - Good luck and best wishes to your father!