Any BOC members hold the state record?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by FLATHEAD STEVE, Mar 24, 2009.

1. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    just wondering how many members have or know somebody that currently holds the State record?

What body of water?

What bait were they using?

How long have they had it?

Whats thier SS #? :smile2::smile2::smile2: J/K

2. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I have the flat head state record..caught 09-12-09 at 1:30 am..fishing the Missouri River and caught with live shad...oops.sorry..haven't caught this one yet! Will post again in September!

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Im still working on it but plan on it soon ill let you know when i do:wink:

4. shawn34

shawn34 New Member

State:
    nc
    that was funing

eat..sleep..go..fishing

5. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Radish holds the all time record for a blue cat in my opinion and should have got some award of some kind for releasing it. Hats off to him.

6. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i agree

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    All this talk of records has gotten me to thinking (uh-oh:roll_eyes:)...if I were to get a state record fish, I dont think that I would know what to do with it!? Its gotta be weighed and alot of other stuff has to happen I imagine? Who exactly do you call? How many of us here have the number to whoever we are supposed to call? Do you know where the nearest certified scales are?

I am going to go back into my DFG book for 2009 and research some more...I posted on here last year about the state of Az. doing a CPR record to inspire more fish being released...heck you never know! Are you ready for a state record?!

8. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I am going to get ahold of local Dnr and get a couple numbers laminated the size of a credit card and keep it in my wallet, I wouldnt take a record breaking fish out of the river, personally I would put it on my use my 25ft stringer And start dialing immediatly. Get the length and girth measured with the fish still in the water and tell them to HURRY!!!!:smile2:

9. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I hope that by stringer you mean your 25ft rope?!:smile2:

10. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Here is the info for the Az catch and release record program...

The program requires only an accurate total length measurment and photo (no weight). It is based on the principal that the less that you handle the fish the greater the chance for survival once the fish is returned to the water.

-Measurment is from snout to tail with clear photo for species recognition.
    (all fractions of length will be measured to the nearest inch).

-New catch and release record must exceed existing record by at least 1 inch.

-Weighing your fish is considered stressful. Catch and release entries that are weighed will placed in the kept (weighed) catagory.

-Weights based on lenth and girth are not calculated.

-Witnesses are desirable but not required. The program is based on the honor system.

I think that this is a pretty cool system and will help out alot with the CPR effort for our biggest catfish especially. Does anyone else's state have this program?

11. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
  12. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Missouri member Catfishscotty holds the rod and reel flathead record, 77 pounds and change. Surprised he hasnt posted here, maybe he didnt see the thread. Chris

13. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    thanks Chris im really surprised it hasnt been broken yet to tell ya the truth .

If i could ever get away from theese darn blue cats and go back to targetting them more would be fun .

before i sold my old boat that was all i went fishin for at some lakes close to me unless i went down home to warsaw for the wekend to fish for blues .

I have a boat i can use at my house again this year so I may get back to trying to target flatheads again .

my dad dosnt have the stamina to go with me i usually go bymeslf and do my own thing my way for flatheads and spend many hours doing it ..

I usually go a couple hours before dark and fish way up into the next day nap then hit it again for a all nighter then go home and rest a few days .

I caught hundreds out of the missouri river off the bank .. but i really enjoy the smaller lakes fishin out of a boat, that nobody fishes for them in and im usually the only 1 out there after dark .

I still remeber 1 morning i was loading up and had a 62 # 47# and a 28 # in the bottom of the old john boat i had and theese bass fisherman pulled up to launch there boat and got out to talk to me and when they seen those flatheads they couldnt believe it and had no idea the lake that is only 220 acres had fish like that in it ...

they was kiddy me about my messy bib overalls and old john boat i just laughed and said well what you guys fish for i use as bait :wink::smile2::wink:

lmao it was so funny the look on there faces ..

14. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Scotty, Great post thanks for sharing I love fishing for flats in lakes and it to love the look the bass fishermen give you early in the morning I only bank fish so I am normaly fishing in there way.:wink::smile2:

I have never caught any big ones like you but someday I will:wink:

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Great post Scotty. Did you ever share the story on the boc of your record?

16. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    no i never have but i will now for ya ..

if i remeber right it was the last day in april in 2003 or 2002

i was in my old 18 foot lowe john boat and i was fishin a lake that is around 1500 acres or so .

i started fishin right before dark .

i had a few perch and shad for bait dead shad i didnt have a bait tank back then . ii had out 3 or 4 rods in water depth of next to the bank in 2 foot and couple rods in 10 foot of water or so .

darn channel cat kept me buisy for the first few hours and ate all the few perch i had in my 5 gallon bucket . channels where 2 lbs to 12 lbs

then around 1 am the channel cats stoped biting and all was dead and silent i was the only boat around , so i got to listen to the coyotes and owls in the darkness . I had cut shad on all my poles now and around 3 am a rod bent over slowly and stayed to i got up and set the hook and line peeled of the real a little he made 1 good run then i turned him and brought him to the boat slowly it was a 35 lb or flathead on a shad head .
    then nothing but silence again and no action then around 5 am a rod went down slowlyu and again stayed so i got up and set the hook and all hell broke loose drag was screamming and not stoping this time not sure how long it peeled drag the first time i was excitted and new it was a good fish finally it stoped taking line and was just moving slowly around i gained a little line every 15 seconds or so when it got even with me at the boat it stayed right on the bottom and didnt move much i remeber my back starting to hurt but i knew not to put too much pressure on him after a good while maybe 3 to 8 minutes heck im not sure how long it was the fish made a run to the front of the boat towards my anchor line i was like ooo chitt i just new it was gonna get in the anchor rope for sure but luck was with me he turned and made a run back towards the rear of the boat took around 20 to 30 feet of line again , finally got him to stop and started gaining line a little easier this time pump after pump of the rod ,then he finally surfaced and didnt fight much i led him to the boat got my gaff hook in his lower jaw and when i started walking backwards to bring him over the edge of the boat i triped over my chair that was behind me and me and the fish was on the floor of the boat ,, lmao we had a wrestling match as he was slapping me with his tail .

he was caught on a shad chunk gut pocket .

wheeeeew i was excitted and tired all at same time , I had 1 hell of a adrenalin rush going i can tell ya :eek:oooh::smile2:

when i got home i was outside showing my wife and buddy the 2 flatheads and a nieghbor kid came over with a book showing missouri fishin records so we wieghed it on a set of bathroom scales it was 84 lbs then we had a set of farmer feed sack scales and it showed 82 lbs .

so i called 2 different game wardens in 2 different counties and they told me they didnt have there own certified scales and it would be until the next morning before they could get with me . really pissed me off to say the least :cool2::sad2:
    so i stuck it in my kids swimming pool tryin to keep it alive but the next morning it was dead finally a agent called around 8-30 the next morning and we went to a grocery store but there scales only went to 50 lbs ,, so next we went to MFA but there scales are not certified , we went to another grocery store but no luck either , we finally went to a MEAT LOCKER and it weighed 77 lbs 8 ounces so it lost some weight .
    they gave me certified papers for my fish .

bass pro in springfield took my fish and made me a replica and they had 1 made that is in there store .

thats about all i can think of .

hope ya guys get 1 bigger and i can read your story :wink::wink:.

good luck everyone and hope it happens for ya !!!!!!!!!!!

17. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Scotty, Thanks for telling the story:smile2: Yeah they need to do something about having certified scales somewhere or do something better about being able to verify the weight of a fish without driving all over god's green earth.

Nice fish I need me one half that big and I would be happy atleast for right now.

18. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Wow Scotty !!!!! Sounds like a heck of a night. That 12 lb. channel would have made a good night for me. :smile2: Thanks alot for the story. I always enjoy reading your posts. I always wondered why that flathead had that big discoloration spot on him, now I know. Congrats on a hell of a fish !!!

19. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    So.. Scotty, is that the fish in your avatar?

20. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    yes it is