Any Blue Catfish Around Myrtle Beach??

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by misterwhisker, Mar 12, 2009.

1. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Taking the family on vacation in june and was wondering where a catfishin guy might be able to find some blue cat action :wink: I guess my question would be.. is there a place thats not to far out of the way, say about a half hour maybe a lil more...any help would be great, thanks

2. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    Santee Cooper is just a little over an hour from there.

3. Mechwarrior5

Mechwarrior5 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The Waccamaw River holds plent of blues and flatheads. Big 'uns too! I'm not sure what kind of guide or rental services they have there, but the Waccamaw isn't but 15 minutes from Myrtle Beach. It might be a good place to look into.

4. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Thanks..I was looking at the Wac. River on the map and it will be a stop for sure :wink: Is there any other specie of fish that my be of interest during the month of june? Thanks

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The ICW running right behind Myrtle is the Waccamaw River there - it's one of the very few sections of the AICW that is fresh water. It contains blue and flathead catfish and the usual southeastern river combination of sunfishes (redbreast, bluegill, stumpknockers, redear, warmouth), largemouths, bowfin, longnose gar, etc. Pretty place. Don't know about specific places to fish it, but maybe somebody more local will have an idea.

6. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    The area John is speaking of is in my opinion the most overlooked freshwater fishery in the state. The flathead has devastated the bream population (redbreast in particular) like everywhere else in the state. Last summer I found that cut mullet was the most reliable bait over several trips though out the summer. The bass fishing is also excellent.