Any big time book readers out there

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jerseycat9, Mar 26, 2007.

1. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Just got back from the library and thinking if there were any book buffs in the house. My main reads are biographys,true crime books about the Mafia, and war documentaries from various wars as well as fictional war stories. My favorite fiction writers are MarioPuzo,Nelson Demille,Tom Clancy, and Larry Bond. what books do the Members prefer and why Im always lookin for the next great book so any suggestions are welcom also. The book that peeked my interest this week was the documentary of the Five Families of New York called the Five Families I guess being from the Part of New Jersey that was Mobbed up to no end is why I cant get enough true Mob stories

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Just finished DeMilles "WILDFIRE" which is quite excellent.Very interesting premise to this story.I usually read 2-4 books a week plus every magazine on fishing ,hunting, boating and of course the daily newspaper.The ultimate gift a parent can give a child is a love of reading.I thank the Lord both of mine were incredible readers and that it rubbed off on me.:big_smile: :smile2:

3. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Yeah I will check that book out next trip. I think he is hillarious and serious at the same time. He is the writer of my two favorites Charm school and Up Country

4. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Oh yeah and how can I forget the Louis Lamore books I have read the whole collection over 30 books. He makes ya feel like youve known the character for years

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    My wife reads romance, and I read everything else. I've got 3 sacks of books sitting by my recliner, ready to take back to the used book store. Wilbur Smith has got a bunch of good ones out.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Wilbur is an excellent writer Jerry.I read both of those Terry and I particularly like the DeMilles with Detective John Corey and his wife.He makes some of the funniest wise cracks.If you dont laugh out loud once or twice you dont have a sense of humor.If you want a real good look at the oil industry and why we are in Iraq, read Ollie Norths latest book ASSASINS.:lol: :smile2:

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    IU used to be big into those books but all they did after a while was make me mad. I still sit down and have a spell with books of that nature once in a while I will have to check that one out

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Terry, with the interests you listed, have you ever tried any of W.E.B. Griffins books? He wrote a series of fiction stories about the USMC, which is called "The Corps". It is about a PFC who progresses through the ranks during WWII and Korea - about 10 books in this series. Then he wrote a series on the US Army called "The Brotherhood of War". This series follows two officers from their point of commission to retirement. Again the setting is WWII. About 12 books in this series. Still not finished, he wrote a series of a young officer in Venezuela during WWII - think there were 3 books in this series. Then there is about 4 series of the OSS agents during WWII. Finally, he wrote a series about the Philadelphia Police Department called the "Badge of Honor". This follows several characters through their rise in police department hierarchy. and consists of about eight books. I feel I may warn you that if you are an avid reader, be careful...these stories are addictive and cause many, many late hours.

I have 109 of Louis Lamour's hardback books - and probably have read each of them eight to ten times. Same goes for the Griffin series listed above. Darn good reads.

I may also suggest Dale Brown's stories of the B-52 Megafortress. About 12 books in this series, and it is another continuation in each book of the same characters. I like this approach. Finally, I suggest the fiction stories by James W. Huston. Good reads.

If you have any time left, you may consider going fishing then. lOL

9. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I have had had the chance to read a few of the books from the The Corps series and as for Lamour I have reread some them which is extremely rare for me to do I love his books

10. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    ill read just about anything. my wife makes me get rid of them when im done tho.....she got tired of them taking up space.

11. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Ive read over 150 Louis lamour books and theres still plenty to go.
    Ive also started a series by Raymond E Feist, Also I enjoy the 2 books by Wilson Rawls..Summer of the monkeys and Where the red fern grows

12. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I have a bookcase 92 board feet of books that I have read and re read over the years, I Read history, fiction, science fiction, fantasy, westerns readers digest, fishing books and the list goes on.

13. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey Lngbo do ya have a favorite or favorites? Im looking for new reads Im knda gettin stuck in a rut with books I just cant seem to find any that grab me any more

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Terry, you want a couple of books that will make you feel like you're a kid out fishing or hunting? Robert wrote a couple of books, "The Old Man and the Boy" and "The Old Man's Boy Grows Older" back in the '50s, and they haven't been out of print since. After the first book's success, Outdoor Life (I think) published it in serial form, one story each month. I keep both of those books on one of my bookshelves, because every couple or three years, I pull them down and reread them. I also like to do searches on the web of various things; I've particularly enjoyed several folks rememberances of childhoods spent hunting/fishing for food or market.

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jerry it was Robert Ruark.I have had copies of those two books for over 50 years.Finally broke down and got hardcover edditions because my paperback versions were almost unreadable.I will say this NO TWO BOOKS EVER WRITTEN ARE A BETTER BLUEPRINT FOR RAISING SONS!!!!!Living in this area I have visited Southport many times and have sat on the bench and visited his house.If you can read the chapter in,TOMBGO,where he is on a merchant vessel as an able seaman and raids the Captains fridge without drooling on your shirt you are a better man than I am.I carried my two with me to Vietnam and they helped me get through.I will never be without these two books and read them over and over again.Tragically Ruark had a drinking problem and died way to young but in my mind no matter how many books he wrote he would never do better.Field & Stream actually featured him as a monthly columnist and many of the stories from those columns were compiled into the 2 books.USE ENOUGH GUN is also another good book and Horn Of The Hunter is my all time african hunting book.:smile2:

16. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    If the mob book you are talking about that is about the 5 NY families is about 4-5" thick and has a black cover - I highly recommend it, just finished it, good book but definetly not a "light read". Another good one is "The 12 day manhunt for John Wilkes Booth". I live in Charles County Maryland (though not for much longer) where most of the events took place.

17. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I read all the time. I like Dale Brown's books, Tom Clancy, Joe Buff has some good futuristic Submarine warfare books. I have read a bunch of Griffin's books too, he sure knows how to mix fact and fiction and they are very addictive if you like this type of book. Reading is the lost art as far as I'm concerned. I buy most of my books at the used book stores or flea markets. Usually get good books for a buck or so each. You'd be surprised what you can find in those places to read.

18. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Yeah I put a big dent in the book last night it reads like a Puzo novel but the facts are true which is mind blowing in some cases as to how Navy and CIA sought the Mafias help on many issues the same people who were put in place to stop criminals of this caliber

19. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Enjoy to read Stephen King every now and then. Geralds Game was probably my favoriate.

20. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I just finished Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills, Seen it recommended in another thread on here.. GREAT! book...