Any big catfish around Raleigh area?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ylicyotee, Jul 22, 2009.

1. ylicyotee

ylicyotee New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey all, first poster here... I've lived in Raleigh for a few years now and unfortunately sold my boat before I moved (so no boat) :sad2:...

Anyone have advice on where to go for BIG cats around Raleigh? I've read some posts on here that are saying that there are not many in Jordan, and I'd also need a location that allows for shore access...

I've taken a few drives down to Sutton and caught some nice 20lbs off the docks but between the sand fleas, the drive, and all the snags on what must be 10 million yards of line out there, its just not worth the drive without a boat.

Thanks ahead of time!!! :big_smile:

2. ylicyotee

ylicyotee New Member

State:
    NC
    By the way, I'd love to know where Bowler Man is catching those monsters!!! :eek:oooh:

3. hardydk1

hardydk1 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Look for good spots on the neuse river. As long as you are fishing downstream of Milburnie dam you can run into some decent sized flatheads. There are not tons of huge ones there but I pulled my personal best, a 40lbs flattie out of there. We typically go at night with live bluegill.

4. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    welcome to the boc bowlerman is fishing lake wylie in charlotte area if you go there you will have to find out where he got his horseshoe :smile2::smile2: seems he is the only one doing that good ,good fishing to you

5. ylicyotee

ylicyotee New Member

State:
    NC
    Hardy,

Do you know of any good public access points? I see that if you Google Milurnie it comes up as "Miburnie Fish Club Lake Dam". Looking at satellite at that area does not really show what would typically be any public access.

Any sort of address or area would be super helpful. Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it!

6. hardydk1

hardydk1 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    If you look on google maps at this location 35.798039, -78.537453 you should see the enterance for the park at milburnie dam. Look for old milburnie road off of highway 64 near where 540 is. Once you turn on old milburnie road you take your first left onto willowblue lane, and then you turn on the first right which kinda looks like a driveway. Follow that down to the parking lot.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Plenty of big flatheads on the Neuse inbetween Raleigh and Smithfield. 30 pounders are common but we catch enough 40's and on up to 50 pounds.
    It's a secton of river that sees little fishing because there is very limited access and running a motor would be suicide. For the motor that is.
    Not many folks are willing to paddle sometimes 5 miles downstream to fish and then another 3 or 4 more miles to a pickup point.
    Aint many folks willing to paddle it on a moonless night either.
    I do.

Stay away from the bridges and Milburnie dam. Those places are what gets fished. Milburnie is a good place to cast net shad though. Walk out on the rocks and throw your net right to the base of the dam.
    I wouldn't waste my time fishing there though.

Bet thing to do is get you a canoe or a yak.

8. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    and any time you're on that side of town, pack a pistol and know how to use it. That's one of the worst parts of Raleigh. I was born and reared there.

9. ylicyotee

ylicyotee New Member

State:
    NC
    Well, that is good to know... :crazy:

Still looking for a spot I guess haha!

If anyone has any other advice, please do not hesitate. I'm looking to go out catting this weekend with the girlfriend (she loves it!). If it keeps her happy, it keeps me happy if ya'll know what I mean!

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Never had any problems out there but we are usually 3 or 4 us that go to get bait. We travel in numbers.
    Don't dare leave anything you want to keep not locked up.

We just go, net some bait, and let the punks have their turf back.:wink:

11. ylicyotee

ylicyotee New Member

State:
    NC
    Unfortunately, its just my girlfriend and I... We dont know anyone that fishes down here BOOOO!

I'm looking at picking up a used john boat, just gotta make sure my vehicle can tow it. If anyone knows of any good deals on a boat/motor/trailer, let me know and I'll go shopping! Then the two of us will be free of the banks and hopefully fishing with you all! :big_smile:

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Let me offer a suggestion.
    The only place for decent catting around Raleigh is the Neuse.
    If I was going to make that my home base I would rethink the jon boat and instead invest in a yak or canoe.

You aren't going to want to have to deal with a jon boat in the Neuse. Too limiting. Number one, you'll tear any kind motor all to hell out there on the rocks. Second have you ever tried paddling one against the current in a river? IT SUCKS!
    Take a look at the thread "Building an Eno" in the kayak section.
    That will show you what I am currently using.