Any auto mechanics on here?

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by Nobody Special, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I have an '02 Explorer with the whining rear differential. I bought a brand new one on ebay. The complete differential. It's the independent suspension type. My question is: What all do you have to take loose to get the axles out of the old one so it can be removed? Or can you just drop it down and the axles slide out?

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Grumpy the most of them have C-loc clips on the inside of the differential and they have to be removed for the axle to come out, also even a new rear end cluster ""ring and pinion"" and bearings and races need set up and shimmed to work right,it takes a experienced mech to set a rear end up,you have to have the lash and pinion engagement right or it will ruin the rear-end pretty quick after it starts a wear pattern .Hope this helps

3. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
  4. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Mark, everyone of them i've ever seen is set up like tony mentioned. They might just slide in but i've never seen any like that. Its always been easier to find a complete assembly out of a low mileage wreck.. Just something to think about.....

5. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Ok Grumpy there are 2 ways they can come out the first is if there are 4 to 6 bolts that hold the axle to the backplate behind the brake shoes they will let the axle come out if removed,the 2nd way is if it has c locks you have to remove the differential cover and the c-locs are on the end of the axles,remove them and you can pull the axle out of the housing,hope it helps you out

6. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    This is independent suspension. The axle housing and differential is not one piece like on the older models. The differential is mounted solid to the truck. It doesn't move. What I have is the complete differential assembly. The truck appears to have CV joints where the axles go into the differential.

7. ultima_cat_man

ultima_cat_man New Member

State:
    granite city, ill

mark this is a simple remove and replace job, any mechanic can do it in less than 2 hours. if your not a mechinc i would take it to one to avoid any headaches. if not here goes.

raise the frame as far back as possable, remove the rear wheels,
    unbolt lower ball joint and seperate
    remove axle nut (about a 36mm socket)
    pull rotor assembly to remove axle shaft from rotor assembly
    remove axles by prying with a prybar at base of dif. and axle
    unbolt driveshatf
    there should be a few very obvouse bolts that hold the dif. in

there may be a few things i left out, i just got home from my buddies bday party so ive had a few to drink. if you have any specific questions ask and ill try to answer, tim

8. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    Thanks, That may be a little more intense than I want to get into. I'll probably just take it to a shop then. The differential weighs about 70 pounds and might be hard for an old man to handle anyway.

9. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Well, I'm a GM technician not Ford, but I know the axles should just pop out of the differential since it is independent rear suspension. I know that Ford has had a lot of trouble with those diff's whining. My friend had his replaced 3 times in less than 20,000 miles, and my sister had to have hers replaced too.

10. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    Some times the axels get stuck in the diff. Ford makes a special tool to help pry them out. Some of the axels are very hard to get out (each person in the shop takes a turn prying and banging the axels until they come out. I wouldnt try to do the job unless you have acess to a lift and air tools.