Any Advice on Catching Gizzards?

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by Rivercat09, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Rivercat09

Rivercat09 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I've been reading on these threads that gizzard shad are found in the various creeks. Does anyone have any advice on how to catch them?

Can you get them on rod and reel using small shad darts on light spinning gear? I have a long way to go to master the cast net, although I do have one.

Stupid question, but, what am I looking for? Some kind of surface activity? Should I be marking them with my meter??

Thanks once again.

2. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    A cast net is a must. Gizzard shad are filter feeders, so they won't go for a hook. I catch all my shad with the cast net at the mouths of little coulees in water 2-3 feet deep or on inside bends in the river, not usually in the current.

Usually you can catch them at boat ramps, and every now and then you'll see them bunch up in schools at the water's surface, usually with some bass or something chasing them around.

3. Rivercat09

Rivercat09 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Thanks StuBone! I just came inside from practicing with my cast net. It's tricky, but I think I'm starting to get the hanf of it.

4. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    thats the only way to master that net is to keep trying i could not us it in the yard i had to try it off the front of the boat just keep trying you will get it look in the library on how to cast net

5. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Nice effort, it really gets easy after a while. (well for me, I throw an 8' diameter net)

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    not to step on your post but Gizzard shad will hit shad darts I catch them all year long at a water dischrge here. You just need to found them and they will hit just like Hichory and american shad.