Any advice for Monticello?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ckm351, Jun 20, 2009.

1. ckm351

ckm351 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    The family and I are going to Monticello this Weekend , and were wondering if anybody had any advice. We have only fished there a few times , and normally catch a few small ones. (very few). And just can't seem to find a good bite. Any advice would be great.

2. sgniogs

sgniogs New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    How are you fishing? Bank or Boat?

3. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Welcome to both of you, the BOC is the place for catfishing! Monticello is a strange lake! I suggest that you do a search for old post on the lake. Night fishing there is the toughest and morning the best. JMO!

4. ckm351

ckm351 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    we'll be on the pontoon. tried many coves , ledges , and dropoffs , never been down close to the power plant though. We are going tomorrow afternoon , probably fish until dark or a little after. if we can avoid heatstroke:eek:oooh:.

5. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Look for humps in the main lake. Also ditches that run across some of the flats. don't get to sunburned!

6. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Welcome to the BOC Charles!!:big_smile:

7. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Anchor on the humps and drop offs. give each hole some time that lake is tough sometimes, but it has alot of big blues u just have to wait them out. bring seveal types of bait gizzard, shad, bream, live bream

8. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Welcome to the BOC guys. Lots of good advice on here, you will learn something new each time you log on.

Steve

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the BOC Charles.

If you see thunderstorms in the distance run. Monticello is not a lake you want to be on if a storm comes up. Try different depth because the cats on Monty move a lot.

10. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    I talked to a buddy of mine the other day and he said some guys he works with went to Monty the last 2 Fridays and caught over 100 cats each time they went. Some kind of way they are drifting in 100ft of water but only drifting 10ft below the surface using Catalpa worms.

11. ckm351

ckm351 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    When we got up this morning my youngest daughter was running a fever and had swollen tonsils. We will have to wait until next weekend to make a trip. The good thing is I am off the whole week of the 4th , so maybe we can make a couple of trips:smile2:. Thanks to everyone for the great advice , we really appreciate it. I'll let you know if we do any good when we do get to go.

12. WillyMan

WillyMan New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    :wink: Fell into a group of good guys and they had me to head out with herring and a nice easy drift...... Very nice results. I am heading out there in the morning for round "2" (ding :tounge_out: ding)I will report on the happenings upon my return.

13. ckm351

ckm351 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    we are heading down on thursday. I have shrimp , shad , dip-bait , worms , and lure/tube stink bait. We ain't leaving until we catch some decent fish. So if that doesn't work , you all might here on the news about "Woodruff man found wandering around lake landing mumbling and cussing about some kind of a catfish conspiracy , taken to mental health facility by authorities......":tounge_out:

14. ckm351

ckm351 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    We caught some decent fish. Had 13 around 2-3 pounds , and more smaller ones were bitring us before the bait hit the bottom. No one bait worked better than others. We caught fish on shrimp , shad , and worms. Started out a little windy , but turned off perfect towards evening. Most fish were caught drifting in the "mouth" of coves in 15-35 foot of water. The later it got , the better the bite. We had to leave about 8:30 , next time we will be prepared to fish into the night. Thanks for the hints and tips.