Any advice for me? :D

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by dragster2006, Jul 24, 2009.

1. dragster2006

dragster2006 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I mainly fish at pomona, osage state lake, and melvern. I am sick and tired catching just channels! I wana step up with the big boys and catch some flatheads! i've never caught one before. (pretty bad huh? lol) im only 18 and havent been fishing for cats that long. i know that i should of been fishing for them a HELLUVA long time ago. I was mainly a bass/ crappie fisherman till about 2 years ago when I met neighbor he was in his late 80's and i looked up to him as a grandfather but hes no longer with us now. :( he was by FAR a professional catfish angler. he knew all these different things that caught fish. he was the one who got me into catching cats. he showed me how to bait the trebles with liver and tie them down with sewing thread. which i have never forgotten to this day. :embarassed: i feel bad about posting this thread because i gave a guy advice about getting bites at osl with the cliche bait chicken livers, but with using the 3 way rig. I AM BY FAR NOT A PROFESSIONAL! But i do know that works at OSL because me and my ole fishin buddy we used that. nothing else. we got bites. and til this day that is the only thing that gets me bites there but newayz. :smile2: my question is. what kind of setup would i use if i used bluegill or shad as my bait, any suggestions? what kind of hooks and weights would i need to use, and how would i hook the fish? and possibly where at should i fish at? middle of the lake? Where at?... PLEASE HELP ME! IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! :big_smile: I AM SUCH A NOOBY! LOL!

2. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    best i can say is read. ( http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=174 )

study and use what works for you. take Kyle and me. we rig up different, use different types of tackle, fish completely different types of rivers but both can get em and have gotten a few big boys too. i can compare myself with everyone on the BOC and i wont match exactly with anyone. try dirrfrent things in different situations and find yer groove.

welcome & good luck

3. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    JJ's right on. Just use what works for you. Sometimes you'll knock'em dead and sometimes you'll go home empty handed.
    My setup is 11' Hvy catmaxx rods with abu 7000. 50# braid. 7/0 khale or sickle hook. no leader, and as much weight as I need to hold my bait where I want it.

4. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I also try fishing near cover and steep banks.

5. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Welcome to the BOC Chris. I'm pretty new around here also and haven't landed a lunker (over 25 lb.) yet. But, Pomona is one of the older reservoires in Kansas and the big ones are there. In the early 80's my boy landed a 8 lb. blue cat below the spillway where the fork is in the middle of the nite this time of year. Good luck

6. dragster2006

dragster2006 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    thank you very much guys for replying to my post! i've done a little research and im gonna try using live bleeding bluegill on my 3 way rig with 10/0 gamakatsu hooks. but im not sure what size weights i should buy. got any ideas? oh and i forgot to mention what rod and reel im using im using an 8 foot zebco adventure rod, with an open face reel... not sure the model of the reel but its a biggin! just like the rod... and im using 20 pound cajun wire... (i think i need to get 40 pound test honestly)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Chris.

8. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Twenty ought to do for now, the main thing is to put your time in with
    your bait in front of flatheads. If there is a lot of cover around where
    you are fishing, you will have to go up in line test considerably because
    you will need to drag him out of that snag before he wraps you up and
    snaps it clean. Once you've got him headed your way, the drag will
    wear him down but he will stay low near the bottom usually. Any quik
    rushes will get absorbed by the rod. Where I've gotten beat before is
    bringing him in too early and having him go into several hard rolls near
    bankside rocks. That's why I always have a sturdy swivel in the rig.
    I got hit in the forehead with my rod too often when my line parted
    with a sound sort of like a .22 short going off. Hate it when that happens.

9. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    There is no special thing that will get you the flats. The thing I can say is learn the water you are on. I spend just about as much time on the water looking at spots as I do fishing. Also be ready to go hours, days, weeks some times with out catching a Flat. Do not get frustrated it just takes time. As for the set up you need, I would look for a pole with a nice back bone and a nice soft tip. The soft tip comes in when the flat just picks up the bait and moves a little or just picks it up and mouths the bait I use a pole designed by an old sponser here on the BOC that was made for Flathead fishing or the Rod Shops John Jamison #3 pole. As for hooks I like Eagle Claw Khales or Matzuo Sickle. I use any thing from a size 5 up to a 10. Line I use Power Pro braid in 80 or 150lb test, I use the Abu 7000's for Flathead and the Abu 9000's. For bait I do things a little different I use alot of cut bait durning the day and then at night I use more live bait. Also durning the day I hit alot of locations and I move often. I also tend to walk my bait more durnig the day into the log jams. Hope this helps some and welcome to the BOC. Also feel free to contact some of us since there are several of us that fish the same water you do alot.

10. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Welcome to the BOC. I have been fishing Pomona and the Dragoon for a few years now. I have caught a few small flatheads on the Dragoon, but yet to catch one on the lake. This year is the first time I have tried with any real effort, but have been there at least one night a week with no success. I can get some real nice size channels, but no flats. Here recently I have started fishing Melvern more, but no luck with flatheads there yet either. I have pretty good luck on the Kansas river, but the lakes are much closer and convienant for me. I have caught some nice flatheads from John Redmond this year while the water was up.
    You will probably want to get you some stronger line before too long. It really sucks to finally hook a fish you have been trying so long to get, only to have your line snap before you even get a good look at him. I have 65 lb Power Pro and 100 lb. Spiderwire on my reels. As far as sinkers, fishing the lakes, or even the Dragoon where there is no current, 2 ozs does the trick for me. On the Kaw, or other river with stronger current, have to go a little heavier to keep bait where it needs to be. I use 3-6 inch green sunfish or bullheads for bait.
    The main thing is don't get discouraged and give up. It takes patience but that first monster you get will make it all worthwhile. Good Luck

11. dragster2006

dragster2006 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i really appreciate all of you welcoming me to the forum! this really is a great site! i've learned so much already from past 2 days that i've been registered on here its great! now its just time to put all this priceless information to the test! (but first i need to go out and spend like 30 bucks on equipment) LOL! line, hooks, and weights haha :tounge_out: it sure sounds like that bluegill and shad is the official baits of the flathead fisherman because i checked out the thread that was about "Whats your favorite bait?" under the flatheads page lol i think i'll just use livers for channels for now on haha :eek:oooh:

12. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Welcome to the BoC.
    Patience and time on the water is the only thing that works. It dont come easy, atleast not to be consistent. Most people I know give up after a few trips.:smile2:
    Stronger line and good baits are a must.
    I seem to do my best fishn by myself. Im more focused and definately alot quieter.:wink::smile2:

I figured this would be a good time to mention Selective Harvest. When you do hook that big one, consider puttin him back to breed for the future. It takes a lot of work for that one fish, and every one taken home is one less to have a shot at again.
    Keep some smaller ones to eat but let the big ones swim.:cool2:

13. dragster2006

dragster2006 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    that is true and i completely understand it... but i've never caught one. caught nothing but channels. and i wana land me a flatty so bad! it would be a hell of an accomplishment to me bringing one home to show my family. plus it would be what the ole' man would do. :haha:

14. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Take a camera and take his picture to show off your accomplishment. I have heard that the big ones aren't much good to eat anyway. Take some smaller ones to eat. Its not like anyone is gonna care if the fish they are eating once was a 8 lb fish or a 80 lb fish if it taste good. If you let the big ones go back, that means there is still an opportunity for another guy, who has never caught one, to catch one. Otherwise, ignore everything else anyone has told you from here, there just messing with you 'cause your the new guy. Chicken livers are the best bait, and if you can't land him with 20lb test there's something wrong.:wink:

15. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Right on George.:wink::cool2:

16. dragster2006

dragster2006 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Is that what you guys did with your lunkers? you let em go? :confused2:

17. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Yep, why eat something that you worked so hard to get. There arent enough big ones left to eat em all.
    You'll see how hard it is. I wonder if you'll last long enough to get one?:wink::smile2:

18. dragster2006

dragster2006 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    lol i do all nighters every once in awhile lol couple times a week. been doing it for about a year now lol i think i got the patience lol. build a fire on the jedis, turn on the weather/ fm radio to v100, light a cigar and kick back in my chair and relax! haha I could live there! haha. :tounge_out:

19. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Want a big fish ya got to have big line, I went from 6 - 8 lb. to 20 lb., probably still to small (others will help us). Want a big fish ya got to have a big hook, I went from a .032" Dia. shank x 1 1/2" long x 1/2" loop to a .070" shank x 2" long x 3/4 shank. probably still to small (other will help us). Want a big fish ya got to have big bait, I still using night crawlers, most use perch heads I guess (others will help). Want a big fish ya got to have a big pole, I went from a light weight to a 7' ugly stick (I'm to old to buy any pole that is not white) I have senior moment and forget where I put things. One last thing, ya want a big fish ya got to have a big boat, I went from a 11' x 42" flat bottom to a 12' x 53" flat bottom (still to small probably), others will help. I haven't landed a big one yet either. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

20. dragster2006

dragster2006 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    yeah buddy i was using 3 inch hooks, 20lb test. - stepping up to 40 lb test pretty soon. all those on my zebco adventure rod and reel. its a big rod and reel! im not sure which model. i gotta go to the car and check. lol dont have a boat :( which sucks because then i cant go to the certain spots where the fish are lol thinking about buyin a mini bass pontoon boat and a trolling motor. :smile2: