any action yet

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by ia flathead, Mar 7, 2009.

1. ia flathead

ia flathead New Member

State:
    iowa
    just wondering if anyone has had any luck yet

2. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i haven't even bothered yet. some of the bridge brothers have though. i think they said they had bites...

3. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    The channel cats are moving up into the shallow flats. I caught 7 on shad guts this morning but it started getting colder around noon and they stopped biting. All between 4-6 pounds. Couple more warm days like we had and the action will be non stop.

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    yep it aint gonna be long and its on!(LOL)

5. Mrquickset

Mrquickset New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hey I was hoping you could steer me in the right direction...I've been focusing on the wing dykes and mouths of feeder creeks. I would expect the fish to begin congregating at the mouths preparing for the migration up the creeks.

When you fish the flats this time of year, do you fish sand flats above or below wing dykes? What type of bait presentation are you using?

I know some anglers are catching walleyes and channels around the wing dykes right now. Most of the walleye anglers are using jigs.

thanks for your help :)

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    throughout the yr I use shad as my main bait....earley on as in now comming off winter ice out... gut & cut bait works best ....stink bait does well to comming off ice out and when we start hitting the july-august I will be using whole shad approximatley 2-4 inchers.......I also use bluegills & bullheads but were trophey hunting then:wink: My best luck is below dikes or below the damb:cool2:

7. IaCAT

IaCAT New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I spent the afternoon at the tailwaters of Red Rock today. The fishing was pretty slow but it was definitely enjoyable to have some lines out. There were several boats and shore anglers out though. However, the only thing I saw catch a fish were the birds.

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    :crazy:I t noticed the same thing the last 4 times out:crazy::roll_eyes: but it is comming :wink: ya know them way tight lines (LOL)

9. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    The bite is on! The channel cats have moved into the shallow water. 2-8 ft. Got out on the river at 8 a.m. and by 2 p.m. I had caught somewhere around 30 fish. Biggest was a hair over 10 pounds. If anyone is near Nauvoo Illinois, drive along river road, when you see cars parked along the highway you will know the fish are biting. Find a spot to park and start fishing! They will be biting good along that stretch for quite a while. If you have shad guts you wont be able to keep 2 poles in the water.

10. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    Calvin,
    Any suggestions on what to use for us poor souls that have no guts!:embarassed:
    is just to early to try to go find the shad on your own?
    Thanks for the report.
    larry

11. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Im not real sure where to find shad around here right now to tell you the truth buddy. I had to drive to Lansing Illinois, near Lake Michigan to get mine. Just made a trip up there yesterday and got a 5 gallon bucket full but theyre already spoken for. :sad2: If I get more Ill let you know.

12. catmster85

catmster85 New Member

State:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    I'm on spring break all this week, might break out the poles and the bridge a shot downtown this evening.

13. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Welcome catmaster58 im sure you'll run into us Bridge Brothers since that is our primarry fishing spot...

14. FishinginDavenport

FishinginDavenport New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Tried a couple hours fishing off Arsenal Island here in the Quad cities. Went to my usual producing place and in about two hours had one bite each for the wife and I on stink bait. Maybe still a little chilly here yet.

Anybody that fishes below Rock Island on the Miss and can give me some pointer I would sure appreciate it. Usually kept my boat north of Le Claire and this year will be putting it in at Sunset Marina and fishing from there. All new territory for me that I sure could use some help on.