Antler Restrictions

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by zeboman, Mar 11, 2008.

1. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    In Pa. most of the state has a 4 point on one side rule and some other wildlife management units have a 3 points to one side rule. The game commission put these restrictions into effect to increase the chances to harvest a trophy buck,problem is we are seeing huge 4-5 year old bucks that are 6 points and can`t be harvested.Are there any other states managed this way?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dan ,We have point restrictions here in New Mexico too. It was 3 points to a side ,but last year was changed back to a fork on one side after many folks complained on that very same thing.

3. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    We can complain all we want,it is falling on deaf ears.It doesn`t look like they are going to change anything.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    All deer are trophies. However, there are so many people who are caught up in the "gotta be a big one or nothin" game, that the deer evedintually suffer. The more restrictions they seem to put on antler size, then you will eventually see a decline in numbers of racks with size.

On average, only 1 in 1000 are true trophie class deer. What are the rest of the deer hunters supposed to do, just pay their fees to support the 1 in 1000 hunters that are allowed to take a deer? There's gotta be better management for the deer, not management for the industry!

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I agree, every deer I harvest is a trophy to me whether it is a buck or doe.The thing the Pa. Game Commission doesn`t understand is there are really big six pointers running around that have not added any more points to their racks and probably never will that can`t be harvested. These bucks are breeding and passing on these genetics. What is your opinion on this matter?

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Personally it makes no difference to me . We arent allowed to shoot does here and I aint a trophy hunter. I only used to shoot forkhorns ,I just happened to get a good buck this year,luck of the draw I guess.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    5 years ago, I got a new hunting lease. You could tell the previous leasees only trophy hunted as about the majority of the deer you saw were little basket rack bucks. You hardly ever saw a doe, but there were tons of bucks! This lease is small, but it's basically a bedding area for bucks. We saw a couple nice ones and tons of 3 to 4 year old bucks with tiny multi-point racks in the 5 to 6 point range. We held off on the does for the most part and only shot out the small bucks the first few years.

The first couple years, we got lucky as at the check station they were pulling jaws to age the deer for a survey. We The first three years we took about 8 bucks that ranged in the 3 to 5 year old range that had 4 to 7 point racks that would fit inside the glove box!

This last year, I had a monster come in behind me that wouldn't give me a shot, several spikes, and a big 8 point I got blackpowder season that was standing in a large heard of does. Even the does have increased and the amount of large bucks is bigger too. I've seen nice 8 and 10 point deer and the land owner has seen a 12 pointer with double drop tines on the place. Now when I see a small buck, it's a young spike or forked horn but young. We started seeing the difference last year as I took a large 8 point buck that I mistook for an older one. He was 2 1/2 years old, but he weighed 140. That's large for this area and the largest bodied deer I've taken till this year(hunting in the western part of the state in a corn field).

My point is that you not only have to manage the size of the antlers to get the big racks, you've got to keep the smaller ones from breeding with the does too. For me and my family, the meat is the trophy, but I still want healthy deer to populate the lease. It's not true everywhere, but usually the bigger the rack, the bigger and healtier the deer. JMO

8. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Missouri Has an 4 point restriction on one side, But it's not enforced in all counties yet. I think in time they will change this to state wide but for now there just seeing how it goes.

9. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That' nuts. My son killed a 6pt that weighed 223 dressed here in Indiana. That was on certified scales at the butcher shop, not guessed. 32" diameter neck at 6" under his chin. If that ain't mature I don't know what is. The only restriction we have here it's gotta have one antler 1" long to be a buck. I killed what I thought was the biggest doe I'd ever killed, this past season. Got out there to dress "her" and she had nuts. Very old buck with nubs about 1/2" long. Legal ether way here during muzzle loader. Wish I'd known how to age it. They did restrict us to one buck a season. Other than a few small areas. I'll only take an exceptional buck or mature does. PA needs to get some biologists that know deer.

10. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Gary Alt was the deer biologist who established these regulations,he was in charge of Pennsylvania`s black bears. I have no idea why they put him in charge of the deer ,it isn`t his specialty.Alt has moved on now but his regulations are here to stay despite Pennsylvania hunters objections.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    in south and east texas, a lot of those counties have antler restrictions. up where i am at, there are none.

12. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Our state association has prompted many changes. I agree with about 95% of them but thank goodness they made a positive difference. They now have the DNR's ear and are an active part of the decision making process. Sounds like you need some voter pressure. Maybe contact our association they may have suggestions. http://www.hoosierhunting.com/

13. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    That could be a good approach,thanks.