Antler question

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by massa_jorge, Apr 4, 2007.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ok, i have been hunting deer almost all my life. i was under the impression that the bucks drop their antlers about mid march.
    today we saw a 6x8 mule deer and a 4x5 whitetail. isn't this a little late to be having antlered bucks?
    last year i saw several bucks in the first week of march that had dropped their antlers already.

2. bluekatcher

bluekatcher New Member

State:
    illinois
    Man we have seen some weird stuff like that around here in illinois.... Fawns with spots in october and even november bucks loosing antlers in january and still having antlers in feb and march.. We think it has to do with the chemicals and fertilizers that is going into the ground these days... We are a big farming community around here... could that be the same out there.

3. g.kempf

g.kempf New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm from southern Iowa and I jumped a buck last week while I was shedhunting and he was still packing both side. It seems some drop early and some carry them till pretty late. I know if they are injured pretty bad they will drop them right away.

4. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Last time I saw a rack on the deer this year was 3/3/07. And that was a fork buck. Everything has been slickheaded since them.