Anticipation pays off

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by mcwrestler, Mar 30, 2008.

1. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    After a lot of preparing and waiting I found my way down to Kingston to meet with other carpers and catch some good fish. I planned to sleep in a cot beside the rods but a storm spoiled that plan so I had to rely on my alarms and sleep in the car. On friday night I managed a fish weighing 13lbs but during the overnight I had about 9 runs, 5 hookups, 3 of those broke off on a snag and 2 came off near the bank. It was late so I was tired and probably making mistakes playing them in the pouring rain standing on slippery rocks but come morning things would change.

Morning brought more anglers an many more fish to the bank. The guys from Georgia were tearing the carp up from the boat ramp and on down the bank we were doing good as well. I ended up with around 9 fish that I took to the landing mat and a few Buffs and small carp that I unhooked in the water, and although I did no find a 20lber I came close with an 18 and hooked a monster that played with me before breaking off and escaping. The guys from Georgia, 5 of them, brought in 532lbs of carp in 24 hours, plus the weight of all the other fish made this rainy day special.

Here is a link to the slideshow done by a fellow angler.
    http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/olcaptain/KIngstonMarch08/?action=view&current=04ede495.pbw

And here are some pics I took, or others did.

Attached Files:

2. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    And here are some more pictures from the weekend.

Attached Files:

3. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes there are even mor epictures and many that I will not post because Mid teen carp can get repetitive, but not when you are cathcing them.

Attached Files:

4. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    To sum it up this weekend was amazing, a good time was had by all. Many 20s found themselves on the bank, I believe about 12 20lbers came out this week including a 28 on friday night. The bait of choice, plain pineapple corn on the hair rig, and a cron boilie that will hit the American market soon. I got to try it out and when it arrives I will be buying some. The old standards worked as well and the biggest fish of this week- 28lbs, 27lbs, a few in the 26lb range and a few over 25 all came on grits pack. If it is warming up in your area you should be tossing it. When water temps pass 58 it works best and in the 60's it is amazing, our results speak for themself.

Attached Files:

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nice looking carp thanks for sharing the pictures with us

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks for posting the pics. Looks like a great time!

7. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    mcwrestler,
    It seems that you all had a Great Time! That is what fishing is about and you had some Very Decent fish as well. Congrats!!

HOPPY4

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Wow sounds like great fun Mcwrestler. Now only if it starts to get a bit warmer out here.... Glad you had fun....

9. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    I tried carpin last weekend and this weekend. I was able to make my first batch of boilies and fish with them, but the carp were not near the bank and were out in the shallow areas spawning. Anyway, good pics and nice fish. Wish i could have been fishing there.

10. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    did you guys chum the area or were you just set up in a really nice spot. out here we have a ton of very LARGE grass carp and no-one that fishes for them. i have tried to get them to hit, using corn, but the only ones i have ever caught were by accident fishing for bluegill using night crawlers. i would liek to start setting out a rod or 2 for them whenever i fish for cats, but dont really know all of the ins and outs of carp fishing. any suggestions would be much appreciated.

11. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The area we fished was prebaited but the fish are always there this time of year. It is near a steam plant and warm water discharge and the fish gather here on the way to spawning grounds. Anglers from all over the country (new York, California, Mass., New jersey, Indiana, Texas, etc) have came here for the hot spring fishing.

12. bigcarp

bigcarp New Member

State:
    england
    nice fish brad especially the fully scaled mirror

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thanks for sharing Brad. Cant wait to into them myself this year, now I just have to remember the camera.

14. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Tell me about those camera phone pictures don't cut it....

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i knew carp were big in the europeion countries but never knew it was so big in the states.guess i gotta try it.

16. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Its been catching on Johnnie...especially in the last maybe 5 years or so...think catfishing versus bass fishing ten years back.....the runs of the 20lbs will get you hooked...sometimes it can a bit frustating to catch one...but once you do its worth it...

17. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Last year was the first year that I got kinda serious about carp. Unfortunatly my job was more serious. I hope to get a few good ones this, even bought a rubber net just for them, hope they appreciate it. :wink:

18. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I'm gonna hit up the pawn shops and get a descent one for the tackle box. I learned if they say 80.00 you say 40.00, they say nope and you just head for the door. Then they say hold on, you say I only have 30.00 with me. They say SOLD.

19. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Oh thanks Ozzy i might have to try that... I have a digital camera but i am afraid to get it ruined or leave it in the car and it get stolen..you know what i mean.. this is isnt the country side but big city...i kind of feel bad leaving a rod in the car... but you know that spare of the moment i wanna go fishing...

20. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    what is this cron boilie you are talking about? who and when will be selling it? how do you make pinapple corn?