Antenna Mounts

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by JDWILLIS39, Aug 14, 2009.

1. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    How do you guys mount 8 ft antenna on pontoon boat. I would be interested in information suggestions. Do you put mount on rail, floor or above rail. What is best. What about distance from people. How do you actually mount it bolts or screws 2 or 4 of them.
    Thanks

2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    John I mounted my on the back right hand corner of my pontoon on top of the Battery compartment on the hinge side near the side rail.I turned the mount where it would lay over width way of the boat,It only sticks out about 6 inches on the other side.I can fold it down while traveling or going under bridges or what not.When I open the lid on my battery box the antenna just rolls over and does not interfere any.I ran my wire thru Battery box compartment and down the top of the Toon and back up to where the radio is mounted.Works great.I can take a picture tommorow if ya like,just let me know if you wanna see and I can send them to ya.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The main thing is I would keep it away from any GPS antennae. A couple of feet should do it.
    If you have to cross over other electronic device wires cross at right angles. Don't bundle.

You can get some headache causing interference between devices sometimes. You get the headache when you start trying to figure out why your mess aint working like advertised.

4. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    a picture would be super. On here or send to jdwillis@att.net either will work. Think my mine is going need be on other side of boat but I would sure love to see what you did. I had in mind about making it lay across the boat. Thanks for the reply and in advance for the picture.

5. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    John,here is a few pics of the way my antenna is mounted.Just keep in mind as Mark said to run your wiring away from other electrical devices if possible so you want have interference,Good Luck with the installation.:wink:

Attached Files:

6. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Thank you very much.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    First, make sure it is on a hinged mount so it can be lowered!! :eek:oooh:

Keep it away from the console where people may be standing.

Placing it on top of a t-top or hard top will offer maxim,um performance. :wink:

8. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Got it mounted went with top of hand rail on back. And it works. Thanks for the input it is appreciated.:wink: