Ant Farm

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ersel, Mar 10, 2007.

1. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    My son received an Ant farm for Christmas and the ants arrived yesterday. I had forgot how interesting they can be we spent the better part of last night looking at ants. We went to the local BOC gathering today and when we got home it was amazing how much work they had done. If any one is looking for a good present the ant farm is it.

2. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey, that's a great idea, Ersel... bet our 11-year old son would enjoy an ant farm!

In fact, I could probably trap some ants here in the house, since yesterday began their great semi-annual invasion... lol.
    Oops... maybe better order some fresh ones, since I've already put out the terro :roll_eyes:
    Too bad you didn't say sumpin yesterday! :wink: hehe

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    what do you/they do for population control?

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Hey that would be a great Idea for my grandson

5. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That's a real good question, Scott... I think we'll hold off on our order till Ersel answers that one :lol:

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Ersel, Please take some pics and post them.
    Thanks!

I always wanted one of those as a child, but Mom wouldn't hear of it. :lol: She is a bug fanatic. Kills about everyone she sees, matter of fact, that's how she broke her wrist in the fall of 2005, trying to kill a fly. :roll_eyes: The fly got the best of her, it appeared.

I always enjoyed the Magic Rocks, or the Mexican Jumping Beans best as a child. BUBBLES are my all time favorite. I've been watching for 2 years for the Zubbles to come out. Now they have moved it to the spring of 2008. They are colored bubbles. No stains. I bought Korbin some no-spill bubbles the other night. I told him tonight to come over tomorrow and we would blow bubbles. We had ice cream cones and cookies, tonight. YUM.

Take care.
    Cheryl

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hehe, im guessing ya had to send for the ants? my son won one last year at a school carnival. there pretty cool watching them suckers go to town digging tunnels. i used the tiny test tubes with lids to put swivels in in my little bluegill tackle box.

as the population goes. the ant farms (at least ours didnt come with a queen). the workers live just a couple months and die off. and they will carry them out and dump the awayfrom the entrance. they have manners,lol. or at least cleanleness enough to dispose of dead away from the nest.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Those poor ants. Not bein able to find thier farm since Christmas. Did they have a nice trip and were they able to see much on the way? LOL!

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Dont buy ants!
    I'll give and ship anyone free a fireant hill complete with queens.
    I'll even guarantee to replace them if you have a problem.

10. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I haven't seen one since I had one....a long time ago. I didn't take care of it or try to keep a good colony, but I was pretty good at finding anthills full of biting red ants. Kinda forgot about them until you brought it up.

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    When I was a kid we made our own. A gallon jar, full of dirt, brown paper from a grocery sack around it and add plenty red ants. You could slip the paper up to see their tunnels.
    Living in west TX we had a bountiful supply of big red ants.
    After we got bored with the ants we add a horned toad. :cool2:

12. Who

Who New Member

State:
    Texas
    :smile2:and I have to go dig them up. I catch an average of 3 to 500 and this lasts about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks around here.:wink:

13. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    The instructions said they die off and we have Raid standing by if it gets out of hand. This set was from National Geographic and they live in a green gel instead of dirt. You can buy more Modules and add on to the farm.

14. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Ersel,

I'm waiting for pictures. LOL. Anyway if the ants get out of hand, go buy some magic rocks.

Take care.
    Cheryl

15. mailhiker

mailhiker New Member

State:
    KY
    My daughter got one for Christmas also. We have not gotten her ants yet. As far as population goes, you don't get a queen, so pretty much as they start to die that is it.

16. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Mark has the idea,fireants!!!!! I got them all over the place.

17. debs

debs New Member

State:
    Maryland
    In the event that you still have ants that you would send to an interested party that would be so appreciated. I am a city science teacher seeking ant farms or just ants (if you have harvester ants preferably if not any ants will do). Send to Debbie Sage at : Grove Park Elementary School at 5545 Kennison Avenue Baltimore MD 21209 ASAP! Thank you so much.

18. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Welcome Deb, you may want to limit that request to one or two people, other wise you may get more aunts than you need :eek:oooh:.
    Randy

19. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You will just make the union custodians mad. Don't want that. Get the administration, I assume they are Democrats, to pop for a road trip to to some Southern part of the United States. Let your students see first hand the machinations of fire ants. Take a lot of cortisone creame.

20. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You got my educational mind going. Why don't you submit an addendum to the formal proposal for a fire ant road trip to take a side trip to see Kudzu. It will make a good class project. Have your students submit papers on whether they think Kudzu is environmentally and ecologically as responsible for global warming as cow gas is.

Think of the lab experiments you can set up in your classroom to further aggravate the custodians.