Answers to questions

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by pk_powell, Aug 23, 2006.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok Family I shall attempt to answer your questions. The Church I attend is basically made up of two groups. The people who are Older and wiser and the younger group. The younger group does not have any use for our minister. Our minister will teach only from the Bible and He will bluntly tell you that you are wrong if you are not acting according to Bibical standards. I don't know if you will understand or not but I will try.

I will not allow my 14 and 12 year old daughters to go to Sunday School. They are required to stay with me in the Adult class,Why? Because I have seen things that I didn't like the looks of. Now I know that this will be controversial for alot of you,but I am telling you Bibical truth. Last Christmas happened to fall on Sunday. Well all the songs sang were about the Birth of Christ. I was stunned,why? Because Luke 2 talks about His Birth but does anybody see the word Christmas used? It isn't recorded anywhere in any of my Bibles and trust me when I say I have a few different versions,and with the computer I have access to all versions. So it was one of the young men that lead all the songs.We older and wiser were all taken aback.I went to the leadership and was told that the men who lead singing are allowed to pick what they want to sing on any given Sunday no matter what. What this all boils down to is they're thinking that our minister has influenced me to be the way I am. He is not responsible for me being the way I am. His grandchildren do not go to Sunday School either.They are very smart kids.There Mother home schools all of them(3 boys and 2 girls the youngest was recently born)
    They are very smart and part of their school curriculum is Bible. Every adult is referred to as either Sir or Mam. Well they're (the trouble makers) are very upset. They don't understand why I allowed my kids to go to camp but won't allow them to go to class.Camp is run by a very good friend of mine who is rock solid Bible and I have heard him preach several sermons,so with him running things I allowed my Children to go. Now the flack has begun.At 8:30 last night,it's 2:17 am I was on the phone,and one of the people who is for our preacher said a group was forming at our preachers house in support of him.I live 30 min. north of this preacher so I told the guy to throw my name in the hat that I fully support our preacher and this has got to stop.I told the preacher to keep me posted I said where you go I go,please please don't leave the state.I said if we have too,we will meet in each others home and have worship and Bible study and The Lords Supper,which we partake every Sunday. I realize that this probably doen not make any sence to you.But we believe in the Bible and only in the Bible.I try very hard to pattern my life in accordance with scripture.One of the pasters I spoke with on the phone literally hung up on me,but not before referring me to the other pastor and telling me that he was only a part time pastor.Part time does not exist in the Bible. If you are placed by the congregation in leadership roles, and if you'll read the Books of Timothy and Titus it explains the role of the leadership(Elders) no where does it say that there is a part time role,you either are or you are not. I realize this will probably end up in High Intensity and if the Staff thinks thats where it should go that is fine.I will end just saying that this is one huge mess and I'm praying to God Almighty that He will do some cleaning house if you know what I mean.If we end up having to meet in others homes thats ok by me,I just want to hear Bibical Truth and nothing more.When it comes to my kids,I and my husband are responsible for the way we raise them and teach them.Our minister has nothing to do with that and it's sickening that he is taking flac for my decisions about my kids. Please just continue to pray!! Family I love ya,thanks for allowing me to vent once again.Keep prayin,thanks-----------pk powell (Pat):cry:

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I understand what your saying PK, you have to remember that a minister is just a man, and men are not prefect. I think people to often put ministers on pedistals, the only one that belongs on a pedistal is God. I no longer am attending a church, simply because, i couldnt take the back stabbing that was going on. I will be praying for you and yours.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I pray for you Barb. I pray that God will show you the way, the truth and the light.

I will not get in the middle of your chosen doctrine. I will simply ask you, are the trouble makers not true christians? Will the actions of the "older and wiser" bring the trouble makers closer to the God whom you love, or turn them away? Are you Ok and is God OK with the results of what you are doing in this situation? Are you on the right path? It is not for others to decide, but you and God on this your walk with Christ.

Good Luck in your decisions.

4. Ardiva

Ardiva New Member

State:
    Kenai, AK
    I'm a little confused over this one...Correct me if I'm wrong....but it is Christmas Day and you didn't like the choice of songs sung, which were songs about the birth of Christ?

Birth of Christ=Christmas Day

That really doesn't sound too odd to me.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I usually don't post on these issues but I couldn't let this one pass!!!

PK, I am sorry but, I think you are worshiping the man, not god!! You mentioned living by the "BIBLE" and, The "PREACHER" was mentioned several times, Where is god in all of this.

Christmas Day "Is" the celebration of Jesus's Birthday!!! You said that you didn't like the mucic chosen on that sunday(which were songs of his BIRTH)!!! I don't understand this thinking. As a christian, you should be glad to sing songs of his BIRTH, cause without it YOU would be lost.

As far as keeping your kids out of sunday school,...... well.... You can't protect them from everything in life. If you continue the path you have chosen, your children won't know what hit them when they get out into the REAL WORLD as adults. This will only cause them to panic if they are sheltered like that.

No harm intended PK, just my take on the sittuation!!!

6. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    PK, in this day and age as I have noticed and I'm sure lots of others have, is that the preachers preach what the people want to hear. Parts of their sermons may be biblical and other parts are not. People don't want to hear how bad they are sinning and doing wrong. So the sermons don't really make you feel as bad as you should. A good preacher will step on toes and really put the fear, as well as the love of God, into each sermon if he is preaching the Bible. A person should leave the service feeling convicted of his sins and shortcomings and be relieved that there is Jesus to forgive us of those when we ask and pray for repentance.

As my little brother says, to some preachers it's just a job and if you "tickle the ears" of the church membership, you'll be around for a long time. But....if you preach the Bible and tell them the way it is, you might just be looking for another church real quick.

So hang in there girl. Good preachers are few and far between nowadays.

7. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    PK, I'm with you and Chuck on this!!
    Our poor old church split because of the TRUTH.
    I guess the fear of GOD was NOT in them!!
    Sure is in me, got to get ready for services!!
    Hang in there Sister,Sister!!

Wally

8. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I may have misunderstood the message you wrote, but it seems that you may be going to church for the wrong reasons. I am no preacher and I have many faults of my own, but you should look at whatthe Bible says about those who are easily angered.:roll_eyes:

9. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I too am a bit confused as to why you didn't want your kids singing songs about Christ's birth. It seems perfectly appropriate to me. Perhaps you can shed more light on this.

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Pk when you pray ask GOD to show you what to do about this then follow what HE WANTS not no one else I have seen alot Of good churchs rurned because of things like this IT all boils down to pride you know who is behind this satan:smile2:

11. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hey PK.
    You follow your convictions.
    Most people on here are not going to even begin to understand where you are coming from, so I would not expect much.

Just so you know...
    I have 6 children... we homeschool them ( Ive gotton a lot of flack just over that on this board)
    I'm right with you about being selective about what class if any they go to.
    We are fortunate, our church does not have a teen group. They tried, we fought it using the Word and won. No teen class's or youth groups.
    The bible is clear on how children and young people are to be taught.

It is very difficult these days to find "Christian" churchs with real pastors.
    If you can't stand behind your pastor, then your in the wrong place.
    If you can't submit to your pastor as someone who God has given to be over you, then your in the wrong place.
    If you can't submit to the authority structure that God himself has placed in the church, then your just another feel good sunday christian who is better off staying home.

As far as Christmas goes....
    Every true beleiver has the King of Kings and Lords of Lords within them.
    Everyday is to be an expression of him.
    What Christmas is in America certainly is not it.

As far as church splits goes....
    Let those who follow the doctrines of devils go worship their God somewhere else.

12. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    Maybe this can all be explained in further detail because I am confused. So far what I agree on is that it is hard to find a church with a pastor who is straight forward and doesn't sugar coat things to please everyone in the congregation. I also agree that the pastor is just a man your relationship with God is only as strong as what YOU put into it. The things I am confused on is the issue with the songs of Jesus' birth? I guess the other question is to Chris with his problems on youth groups? I don't believe that the youth group should be the only christian education they receive, but I do think it is important for them to have a place to go to see other kids struggling with the same things, other kids growing in Christ, and they are great places for kids to gain real friends. Maybe it is me but I guess I am lost on the subject, please enlighten me.

13. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Every single church that I have been in, either the kids ended up in the sack or the youth leader ended up in the sack with them. Most people are ignorant about this happening because it gets sweep under the rug.
    Once again, the bible is clear on this subject.
    The mentality of people today beleiveing that kids have to have other kids to learn properly is part of what is wrong in our society today. Our children have lots of friends. They are hand picked. They have parents that are "like minded". We have about 50 people swimming and having a great time every Tuesday at my house.
    The answers are very simple. Let other people you know nothing about teach your children along with other children you also know nothing about or do it yourself with the help of our own friends. We have made the choice that we believe that God wants, how he intended and created us to be.
    Other "Christians" that disagree with us obviously don't spend very much time reading God's Word, or choose to ignor it when it comes to raising children.

14. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    This is in response to a couple of the posters. Why would I want to "fear" God, if God is Love and Compasion? I wont dissagree that some Preachers will have their sermons pointed so nobody gets irate but I dont one that puts the "Fear" into me.

15. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    For the Christians posting on this thread, a brief admonition:

Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints? First Corinthians 6:1

There is a time and place to air our grievances, but on an open forum before those who, as you admit, would not understand? Is this a positive witness before the world?

And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. John 12:32

Let's exalt Him! :worship:

16. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Gary's quote

This is in response to a couple of the posters. Why would I want to "fear" God, if God is Love and Compassion? I wont disagree that some Preachers will have their sermons pointed so nobody gets irate but I don't one that puts the "Fear" into me.

Gary you are missing the biblical context of fear. You should want the "fear" in you life.

What Does It Mean To Fear The Lord?

Proverbs 1:7 tells us that, “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge...”

For the Christian fear means a healthy respect. It means holding Him in the highest possible regard. God is the creator of all things (Genesis 1:1).Heaven is His throne, earth is His footstool (Matthew 5:34-35) and He is to be reverenced, served and worshiped.

In contrast, in Revelation 6:15-17 shows God’s enemies fearing Him. This fear is not a healthy respect but absolute terror. The Christian need not ever experience this sort of fear towards God because there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ (Romans 8:1).

I hope this helps
    resorce biblestudyplanet.com

17. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.

Parents have the responsibility to be on the front lines when it comes to educating their children, in ALL areas, especially where Christ is concerned.
    Too many parents are lazy or don't care enough to be involved.
    However, that does not mean that others should not be involved in the process as well.

Sadly many of the parents don't even go to Church themselves. They just ship the kids off so they can have time to do whatever it is they want to do whether that be just relaxing or drinking themselves into oblivion.
    If it weren't for the youth group these kids would have no one to teach them about Jesus's love and plan of salvation for them.
    I personally devote 2 nights a week (Mon. & Wed.) to working with the youth in the Church. Monday nights I teach a Christ centered karate class & Wed. I work with the 5 th graders in youth group.

I have to leave for work in 5 minutes, but I will have more to say on this tonight.

God bless!

Eric

18. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well said. By way of illustration, right now I am enjoying an air-conditioned room, with nice music playing while I write you this message on my computer. This is directly due to the "love" and "compassion" of electricity that surges into this building. What makes my life comfortable can also kill me in an instant.

God Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth can destroy you in an instant. "Who are we that God would even care for us?" the psalmist asked. In fact, we deserve to die for our sin. Yet God loves us. He has provided for our justification through the sacrifice of His Son, Jesus Christ.

So we fear Him in that we revere Him.

19. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I see where you comming with those explanations thanks Bros reps to ya. I was looking at it from the wrong view I was looking at it from the Christian point of view not the non-beliver. I still dont really think of it as fear tho if it is Gods will to take me then it is as it is.

20. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Eric.....I like what you say here