Another Year, Another Reason To CPR

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catfishrollo, Dec 5, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As we all have read, and learned from different posts and our in field experiences, we all have developed an opinion on CPR.. ( Catch, Photo, Release) There are many different options, and how to's .. Some claim even stringing a fish up, isn't practicing proper ways of preserving. Other's claim it depends on the methods of catching, including lining, jugging etc.... Either way, I just ask you. If you are someone that trys , thinks, or cares about preserving the sport of catfishing, and maybe even considers youself that you do that well.... Take a look at how you fished this past year, and what you might be able to do to be a better CPR guy in the future! How did your fish act after a tourney, or a night of keeping them for the photo? If you keep them for a bit?... We all live and learn. We will never have the perfect answers to everything! But, what I have learned about CPR is, Everyones perception is differnent, but if we all try to do what is right in a reasonable manner, we may be able to keep this quality sport for many generations!!!! So, I only ask... If you are a CPR person.. Look at your methods from this year.. How did you do? Was there anything you would change to better the fishes health? Take it upon yourself! Because, it has to do with each and everyone of us for the future's stabilization, and improvements in the fisherys!!! goodluck....rollo

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well rollo i dont hang on to them very long at all i try to hurry and take a quick pic if i gota hang on to him and wait for a pic well i just dont get a pic the one thing on my list to improov is i want one of the soft nets i use a el cheapo you know the old green net tipe althoe iv seen no ill efects from using it i would feel a little better using a soft net

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We catch them and record the catch on video. We take a couple quick snap shots and back in the water they go. They usually tear outta there and soak you with the whip of their tails. Thats the way I do it! Most of the time they are back in the water within 2 minutes Max. Never put on a stringer unless I'm catching channels or smaller blues for the table and that isnt very often at all anymore.:wink:
    This 67 lber was released within 90 seconds.

Attached Files:

4. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Rollo, I dont catch many flatheads but I CPR all of the blues over about 5 pounds that I catch. I keep the 1 to 5 pounders to eat, cause I still like to eat catfish.

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I caught more this year than I ever have. All were released except for two (honestly). One was a good eater size and the other had swallowed the hook...I hope I learned something this year. I plan to go back to the spots that worked for me to see if the fish hold there?

6. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Rollo, We CPR ALL Flatheads big or small. This past season I did'nt even use a net.

7. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Well said. I've only kept one flathead to eat ever. That was back in 2000. Now I let all flatheads go....no matter what size and If I need fish for the freezer....I like to keep a few channels or blues around the 5 lb range.:eek:oooh:

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I'm actually going to try and keep a few more small flatheads this year. I think that the lake we fish is actually under harvested and I've only kept one since I've been fishing the lake. Probably be good to keep a few more than last year b/c all the guys that I know that fish the lake are catch and release only. Sometimes people tend to forget (myself included) that harvest is a good thing if done in moderation. It helps fish grow faster, reproduce at a younger age. It's also good to have some harvest from all size and age classes but I sure can't bring myself to keep one of those big old flatties:wink:

I also strongly disagree with tournaments that allow stringers and stringing up catfish to get a picture ect. That is not good for the fish at all and I would believe that a good majority of those fish die.

9. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    I think you are probably right. I was thinking about whether or not what sizes might be best to keep. I love the taste of Flathead catfish...but it seems as though here where we fish...I havent caught any of the smaller ones. Just the Gargantuan ones. Not that I'm complaining...but just wandering what is up with that. No small ones...ever?:eek:oooh:

10. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Good post rollo.All I can add is try and cover all basses,and be prepared for anything.
    I dident even have a net the night I relesed my pb(66lbs,48"x33").Or a certified scale,with a plan to wiegh a fish I cant hold up off the floor.
    Also I put the fish on a stringer for about 2 hours,I dident want to but I nicked one of the gill rakes with the hook and she was bleeding slightly.If the fish was going to die I dident want to waste it.But after a couple hours of getting her breath back she kicked away hard and fast.This happend last may,and was/is the pinacle of my 11yr fishing carrer so far.
    On a side note I started fishing for largemouth bass/still do and keeping those in cali is almost against the law and at some lakes it is.So releseing fish espesially big fish is second nature for me.

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I release 99% of the fish I catch. Just keep a few small blues or channels to eat occasionally. I would NEVER, under any circumstances, put a stringer through a fishes gills that I was planning on releasing.
    Bill in SC

12. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Bill in sc,
    The stringer was not through the gillz,it was through its bottom lip.Not an ideal scenario,but the fishes well being was always my top priority.

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    That must be a good problem to have there John:smile2: We usually don't catch many under 10lbs and most are larger than that. We don't catch a bunch of monsters but I did notice a good increase in the size of the fish we caught this year vs last year. We caught a lot more 20+lb fish this year. Hopefully the growing trend will continue. The lake used to have a ton of 30-40lb fish but a lot of them were taken out of the lake a few years ago and then pretty much everyone quit fishing. Seems like it's picking back up for size, so I'll leave the big ones alone and probably keep a few small ones. However, it is a proven fact that harvesting fish of all sizes in moderation can increase the health of a population of fish. I guess I'll just leave it up to somebody else to keep the big ones:wink:

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    john it may be cause of the size of the bait you are useing or more likely where you fish is a hang out and feeding spot for the big guys.dont many small fish hang out where the big boys eat.

15. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks johnnie...that does make sense! I find myself wondering about that all the time and what I can do to help the situation( if anything). I have several other places to fish for them....but seem to be drawn back to the same spot every week. I guess I am the type who will sit and fish a proven spot regularly in hopes of catchin another big one. Its a great sport to be in!!!!:big_smile:

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Very true I found that to be the case with flatheads. I either get the small ones in an area, or the big ones.

17. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    in my opinion cpr is the most important thing we can do to help our sport. it takes years to grow a big cat every cat released is another one to carry on.i love our sport and would do anything in my power to help it.the joy of fishing is my love wondering how big that cat i just hooked is. one thing for certain it will swim again for me or some other lucky person to feel that high:wink:

18. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well the flats were safe around me this year. i worked so much overtime that i only got out for flatheads specifically one time, and got skunked. i did get the kids on a slew of channels and blues to get some food in the freezer, and they had a blast. as of now, every fish we kept to eat has been eaten. we didn't keep a single cat over 8 pounds this year. my biggest cat this year was 17 pounds and wasn't out of the water 30 seconds. i eat a lot of fish, but when a fish is to be released, i don't mess around! good luck to all yall throughout the winter and spring!

19. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have LEARNED C and R is a good thing . The only Flathead I kept this year was given to me after being on a stringer for an hour at Barkley dam it was in bad enough shape it went directly on ice didn,t want it to be wasted why it was stringered and not kept by the guy that caaught it don't know . The flathead I caught this year I caught this year was in in my HOME river in WV , The channels go to feed my mom who is on disabillity and ssi . It was a quick kiss and put gently back in the water . Somethings I do want to add . If it is deep hooked and bleeding It should be kept . If it is big support the weight of the fish under its belly . I do not know if it affects catfish the same as Bass but I don't pry thier mouths open any further than neccesary . Ialso try not to wait to long for a hookset either Especially with big live bait ,it might cmake me loose more fish but I have a better chance of not deep hooking a fish . My 2 cents . Peace my bros. and sisters .

20. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    My biggest ones of the season came right on the heels of small ones. Sitting there getting small sized flatties on my hook literally every 8-10 minutes (no lie), then suddenly boom! Big hit and there's my PB! I once read an article where a guy was saying that alot times when the little ones are biting steadily in a spot, just hold on because a big one might be sitting there waiting to investigate all the comotion the little guys are stirring up!