Another Year, Another Reason To CPR

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Dec 3, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As we all have read, and learned from different posts and our in field experiences, we all have developed an opinion on CPR.. ( Catch, Photo, Release) There are many different options, and how to's .. Some claim even stringing a fish up, isn't practicing proper ways of preserving. Other's claim it depends on the methods of catching, including lining, jugging etc.... Either way, I just ask you. If you are someone that trys , thinks, or cares about preserving the sport of catfishing, and maybe even considers youself that you do that well.... Take a look at how you fished this past year, and what you might be able to do to be a better CPR guy in the future! How did your fish act after a tourney, or a night of keeping them for the photo? If you keep them for a bit?... We all live and learn. We will never have the perfect answers to everything! But, what I have learned about CPR is, Everyones perception is differnent, but if we all try to do what is right in a reasonable manner, we may be able to keep this quality sport for many generations!!!! So, I only ask... If you are a CPR person.. Look at your methods from this year.. How did you do? Was there anything you would change to better the fishes health? Take it upon yourself! Because, it has to do with each and everyone of us for the future's stabilization, and improvements in the fisherys!!! goodluck....rollo

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great post rollo, I practice cpr for one reason, I want there to be fish left in the waterts I fish for years to come...Big fish.

I dont put a fish on a rope to take a picture later.

I dont take the fish to the baitshop for a picture them release it.

I dont take the fish home to show the family, then haul it somewhere to release.

I would say most of my fish are back in the water within 2 minutes after landing them.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Same deal here, the quicker I can get the fish back in the water the better. If a camera is available the pic is taken right then and there, 2 to 3 minutes, a big kiss on the head, and back to your home buddy!:roll_eyes:

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I use one of these Duck-Decoy bags to keep fish for weighing, or to let them rest after being caught untill I get set up for a photo so they are not out of the water any more than necessary. I also used two of them to hold our tourney fish for a days fishing in near 80 degree water temps. When I got to the weigh in these fish were among the livliest brought to the scale. I just tied the top closed with a 12ft rope and let them hang 10 ft down under the boat in the shade. We only placed them (Bag & all) in the livewell when we had to make a move. Then back in the river they went.

This bag measures 43 inches wide, and 50 inches long.
    It is made of a satin like fabric that is easy on a slime coat. I always get it wet before placing a fish in it to further ensure this.

And they make a super way to weigh a big fish so I don't have to place a scale in their gills or make a hole in their jaw. It supports their whole weight so that means less stress on the fish.

Here are a couple pics.

Attached Files:

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Dont BS them Skip you were wearing that the last time we went out:smile2::tounge_out:

And I turned him down since a man in fishnet aint my thing:smile2:

6. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    I personally alway handle fish with wet hands. the slime coat is vital to a fish's health, though admittedly, cats are very tough fish who can withstand much abuse without harm. I treat catfish as carefully as i do trout. trout die if you look at them funny. Really like the bag idea skip. especially hearing that you're getting it wet before you place the fish inside the bag.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The decoy bag is a great idea. Skip has shown it to me, and it works well. I think he has someone double-stitch it for him though, to ensure it will stay durable over time... rollo

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    The big bag idea works great and I agree with s-man, my fish too were very lively at weigh-in.

I CPR because I feel that it is the right thing to do for the future of fishing. Bottom line.

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Reps to all you CPR guys! I am a firm believer in Catch and Release. I was born and raised in Montana and grew up fly fishing where Catch and Release was promoted and encouraged. I have always done it and always will. (Unless God forbid I am in a postion where I have to keep fish to feed the family)

Thanks to those of you that are making an effort to prolong the sport of catfishing by making CPR a way of life. I have mad respect for you! I hope to be able to go fishing one day and catch 50,60,70 and 80 pound catfish on a consistant basis. I believe that if we keep practicing CPR, that day will come!

Good topic Rollo, reps to ya my friend!

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I have 2 bags the wife made out of material we got at Wally world. t looks just like the old style gunny sack swe used to get feed in for the livestock (till everything went plastic.)Works great. I n our tournments you can't use stringers ,baskets etc so i had to come up with something.
    The bags are probably 2-1/2 ft wide 3ft long. Get it wet and it keeps the fish happy. Just remember to close the top real good. Opps:roll_eyes:

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Now is the time of year to look for the decoy bags at hunting/fishing stores being hunting season.

They come with straps so you can carry them like a backpack. I carefully cut the straps off, and use a section of it to fold over the bottom, and sew it in place for added strength. The bottom stiches they come with look a bit flimsy when I have over 40 lbs of fish in there.

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i remembered it was something with the reinforcing. lol.. thanks for sharing S-man......rollo