Another Winter Walleye Question

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by puddle jumper, Jan 5, 2009.

1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Im going to try to tap a unfished resorce down here in Ga. We have a really DEEP lake that is suposibly loaded with walleye, Ive caught one bass fishing,,and I would like to target them specificly, however im new and really clueless on how to go about finding the fish, Ive been reading about the how to fish for them and I think I can handle some live bait jigging, We will see...
    A couple of questions how big are the minnows you guys are using?? Do the gulp leaches work?? Do you need a stinger hook most of the time?

And where would you look for them in a really deep lake, 450ft deep,, point's, drop offs, or run up to the river mouth that runs into the lake, or down by the Dam :eek:oooh: prity much everything on the lake is a dropoff, a few humps but like I said deep,,,
    Anything elce a newbee might need to know?
    Thanks for any help guys...
    Puddle

Attached Files:

2. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN
    Well, I'm orginially from WI and used to fish walleyes all the time. I've never fished them in the south, especially in deep water you're describing. Most lakes where I fished were relatively shallow lakes. But walleyes can almost always be found around any structure you can find, such as the humps you are describing. Also look for schools of baitfish, the walleyes won't be far behind. You might want to think about trolling the lake with, maybe a crankbait or spinner harness, until you locate the walleyes. A stringer hook wouldn't be a bad idea if you're using live bait, as they tend to bite pretty light, especially in the winter time. If you can find leeches, they make good walleye bait on a jig.

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Best advice I could give is above the thermocline. In a lake that deep there probably ain't no oxygen way down deep. Won't be no fish there. Walleye are usually light biters in my limited experience. I prefer live bait, like minnows or leeches, nitecrawlers.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice Walleye.

5. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

From the picture on your post I noticed downed trees and a rocky shoreline. Stick close to the trees as you would Bass fishing. Those rocky shorelines attract baitfish so I would cast a jig or crankbait in to them.Any sharp drop off along the rocks is ideal. I fish a deep lake similar to this but it's max depth is 125'. Along those rocky drop offs we vertically jig BPS strata spoons and jigs sometimes tipping them with a minnow or half of a nightcrawler.. Trolling worm harnesses slow is also a great way to find them. Try different weights to get to different depths, you just want your bait to nick the bottom and omly troll fast enough to keep the blade turning.

6. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Up here we pitch crank baits in and around the timber along the shore. The best spots are near drop offs to deeper water. If you can at least get one to chase a crank then you know they are in the area and can change to a slip bobber or jig at that time to fine tune the bite.

If that doesn't work I'm betting if you used your electronics to find the bait (like someone else stated) you can find the fish suspended. Once that happens I would troll cranks for live bait of some sort at that depth.