Another Weekend @ Truman

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by TomV, Oct 9, 2006.

1. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    We caught a few blues this past weekend. Nothing huge and nothing on r&r. We caught a 2, a 5 and a 10 lb blue on jugs. I had two rods in for a total of 20 plus hours over the weekend but no bites. Saturday was very windy and almost impossible to fish but we did manage to get one blue that weighed 4 lb 12 ozs. The only bite we got that day. There was seven of us on the pontoon Saturday. My granddaughter Niki is with me in the one picture. On Sunday it was a much better day and the bite picked up. We had over six hits on the jugs and caught two, the 2 lb and the 10 lb blue. We fished with live bluegills, live and cut shad but all the action was on the live gills.

I thought the bigger one was much heaver but he didn't weigh what I thought he would. It?s been several weeks, I think a month since we caught a nice fish so I guess that made him he look bigger. We did make a change on our jugs which may have helped with the bite improving. We had half the jugs set for 12 feet deep and half set for 15 feet. We added about 9 feet to the 12 feet so now half are set for 20 to 21 feet deep and that's the ones we got all the action on. Next weekend we are changing the 15 to 24-25 feet deep. Plus we are fishing in 35 to 45 feet of water instead of the 20 to 35 feet that gave good action inJuly and August.

I've added a couple pictures.

I hope the bite is even better next weekend and maybe I can even catch a few on r&r and maybe even bigger.

Attached Files:

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I talked to Steve Brown last week and he's drifting in much deeper water now and getting into bigger fish - 30 to 50 ft, on the flats next to the river channel and even through the river channel from time to time. Overall numbers are down but average size is way up.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Talked to Steve today. Changed a trip from the 12th to the 24th. He said the front coming thru has slowed them down.

4. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    OoooooooWeee! Those cats look mighty tastee! They look really clean, not as good as what Ive been catchin up here. Its been 20 plus years since ive fished in Missouri. I had grandparents that lived in St. Joe. Grampa always took me, rain or shine. I gotta get down your way and drown some bait!!! Thanks for sharing the photos and the story.

Tight lines to ya!

Kenny

5. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Weekend of the 14 & 15 was another weekend at Truman Lake. It was a bit cold and it rained on us Sunday but we did get some fishing in.

Last weekend I extended by jugs that were set for 12 feet to a20 to 21 feet depth. This weekend I extended the ones I had set for 15 feet to 24 - 25 feet and most of our action was on the 24 -25 feet depth jugs. We caught five with the smallest being 2 lbs and the largest just over 4 lbs. but we had a big one get on that we missed. I was preocupied, with nature calling, so the wife was using the trolling motor driving over to the jug that had the fish on and I, trying to finish with nature and reeling in a rod that I had a live gill on and I looked over my shoulder and so the jug dissapear. This is the first time this has happened for months. The jug reappeared and we finally got to it but no fish.

We ended up missing 6 all together. Two of the jug lines when we pulled up were slimed 4 feet up the line. All I know is we missed at least one big one that pulled the jug completely under, all the others only pulled the jugs one third under, half at the very most.

We used only live bluegills as bait and as I said almost all the action came from the jugs set at 24 - 25 feet deep. We were fishing in 35 - 40 feet of water.

6. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Saturday, Oct 28 we got off to a late start about 9:00 Am but it was a little cold and windy. The bite was slow and almost nonexistent. We caught 2 Blues, one 8 and 1/2 lb and one dink about 1/2 a pound.

Sunday, Oct 29 we got out a little earlier and it was warmer and with a lot less wind and a very nice day to be on the lake but we got skunked. Both days we were fishing with jugs 20 and 25 feet deep in 35 to 40 feet of water. Both blues on Saturday were caught at 25 feet deep, the 8.5 lb blue on live bluegill and the dink on cut (bluegill head).

7. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Forgot to mention the water temperature was 56 degrees.

Also sorry no pictures this time but only had the one 8.5 blue worthy of a photo.

8. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Tom,

I was down there yesterday also. I got skunked. Upper Osage, Osceola area.

Larry

9. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Sorry you got skunked too but it was a beautiful day Sunday. We were just passed O-3, near the mile long bridge. We had no trouble finding fish on our fish finder but they had lock-jaw, no bites.