another wednesday fishing trip

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by tank3544, Nov 4, 2005.

1. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    landed only a 52lber this time .. my first fish in the 50lb weight class .. so i've officially caught one in each weight class up to 60lbs .. therefore my goal over the winter is to get my first 70lb fish

anyway in the same area i caught the 52 another guy caught a 61 .. plus a mess of other smaller fish .. so it looks like they're schooling up in and very near wintering holes .. bite should really be on here with another 5 degrees off the water temp

got several bites, a few almost take downs, but same as last outting .. not fully committed to eating yet .. short strikes and pecks .. its so close i can feel my arms getting tired

talked with a guide at the dock and his clients landed a 54 and 69 IN THE SAME AREA that we were fishing earlier in the day

2. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

GOOOLLLY
    what a day what a day,0h i already said that,great job,i wish i could afford
    to be every place i want to be all at the same time. ;)

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Nice fish tank where was you at on the james or what. I will hit the potomac at ft.washington tomorrow hope to find some big boys there. great job buddy good luck on the 70 class.

4. fish guts

fish guts New Member

THATS IT!!! im going to the james, but iv never been before. it sure would be nice to get pointed in the wright direction(where to fish)

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    congrats on your catch, Ive been wanting to fish the James for some time now

6. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    yeah tim .. james river .. launched from jordan point .. fished from presquille down to flowerdew

like i said the bite is soooooo close to happening .. last week they weren't stacking up and now they are .. more solid bites are happening

raise your excitement levels!

7. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    thanks tank maybe we can hook up over the winter and bs sometime

8. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    sounds great to me tim

do you fish the james often?

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    never fished the james but looking to fish some river in V,A maybe do some tournaments down that way

10. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Tank, how do you normally rig your terminal tackle? I have been using a carolina rig, more or less, with a 8/0 to 10/0 circle on a 12 to 18" leader, with a pyramid bank sinker hanging off of a 2/0 swivel & mcmahon snap.

Are there any variations recommended for cut bait?

/Scott

11. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    WTG Tank, Glad to hear you got into some decent fish. I plan on going Saturday for some cat action. I've Been doing pretty good up river but not as much action down river. I have been fishing some new holes and plan on going back to some of my old faithful winter holes this weekend.

12. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    sounds pretty much like how i do it

8 ounce pyramid or tear drop clipped to a snap swivel that's run up the main line .. followed up with a bead to protect the knot .. barrel swivel next rated at 100lbs .. my leaders i keep shorter than you .. the longer the leader the more it twists in the heavy current .. 6 - 14 inch leader of 80lb ande mono (14 inches is simply for low current situations) .. tied up to a 7/0 daichii chunk lite circle or 10/0 gamakatsu octopus circle

13. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Makes sense on the shorter leader. Appreciate the reply.
    /Scott