Another use for the Colony Traps

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by RetiredToFish, Nov 11, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Several younger members have ask about colony traps and their usage ... One of the best places to use them are in narrows or pinch points .... Most people use them sucessfully in marshes, but never dream of using them in streams. I use them often when I have a stream that has narrow places .....

This stream is about 12 feet wide but it almost clogged with water weeds ....

(See Colony1.jpg)

You will find that the muskrats will swim on the surface in these areas ... so you must use diving sticks to force them to dive just before they get to your trap ...... I place them about 4 or 5 inches from both ends of the trap right at the surface ......

(See Colony2.jpg)

Another good place to use them are at underwater holes that are out in a pond that are not next to the bank ....

This photo shows a den entrance that is about 8 feet from shore ... do to the low water level in the pond ....

(See ColonyOffShore.jpg)

Hope this gives you younger fellows another way to catch a few rats ....... Garry-

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Photos from previous post ...... Garry-

Attached Files:

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    What a gem of a place for mink or rats.:wink: How did yesterday turn out for ya Garry? Feelin better i hope also.

4. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Still feeling pretty rough ... still running a fever ... got 10 rats ... 1 possum ... lost one trap and lost a mink .... I think a stick interfered with it when it fired .... or someone else got to it before I did .... had some fur in the trap ........ rats are still unprime .... Garry-