Another truck issue help

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by SCcatfishing, Sep 23, 2009.

1. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    1995 chevy 3500 When I get up to 60mph shakes crazy... you can see the dash board bouncing up and down... felt like it was coming from the back..... So I have put the new things on mid shaft bearing, 3 u joints, 4 tires in the back, and shocks... still is doing it, pit man arm looks ok idler arm looks good tie rod ends look good, lower and upper a arms look good sway bar links and brackets look good. so I'm all out of ideas as to what it could be help me so I can go to the watree tourny this weekend....

Ps steering wheel doesnt shake at all everthing in the truck does tho....

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Does it change when accelerating or coasting or does it stay the same ,also did it start all at once or over time ,check driveshaft for being bent or something breaking loose inside shaft . something like this happened to my sons truck an to fix it the drive shaft was replaced

3. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    been like this since i got it... so much needed done to it that.... after I got everthing else done I left with this...I'd hate to put a drive shaft in it and still have the same issue....I might take the shaft to a drive line shop and have them check it before I go that route....

yes if I keep it hammered down wot it doesnt do it... had it up to 70mph but when my foot came off that gas i thought the truck was going to blow apart.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  4. Look for a bubble/broken belt in the tire tread or out of balance rim/tire. If ya think ya have one, throw on the spare and see if it goes away.:wink:

At that speed, a driveshaft would be spinning to fast to vibrate the dash like that, or it would fall off if it was. Has to be a wheel or tire dude.:cool2:

5. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    replace front tires or have balance checked....

6. I just had a tire not too long ago with good tread develop a light bubnle in it from a broken tread belt. It is hard to tell unless you get on a 4's and look around each tire tread from the side to see if it is even. You'll see it if that's the problem. And if the steering wheel aint shakin back and forth, I would focus on the rear.

7. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I'd take a look at the motor and transmition mounts. It's a possibility. Trying to think what would make it vibtate when off the gas and not on. If it was the front end, I'd think you would feel it in the steering wheel. it could very well be a mount or something with the rear suspension.

8. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah thats what I thought also I dont know what to do replace shaft if that dont work then replace rear end then if that dont work I will part it out...then scrap the body

9. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    needs a ford emblem,just kidding!

10. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah had one never again..... If you have a 2001 or newer ford you need a spare tranny for them.... Had an Excursion and the tranny went out.. took it to the tranny shop they said they can fix it but may have other issues with it down the road as they only use ford factory oem parts on the rebuilds..... So I dumped it to another fella after it got fix and went back the the GREAT BOW TIE... I can drive this truck any place anytime tow anything but just cant go over 55....

Chevy is like a 2 stroke add oil and gas they last for ever:wink:

11. coler0kw

coler0kw New Member

State:
    ky
    CHECK THE HARMONIC BALANCER AND FLYWHEEL. A LOOSE OR BROKEN BALANCER OR WEIGHT GONE OFF FLYWHEEL CAN CAUSE THIS. I DONT KNOW YOUR ENGINE SIZE BUT THE OLDER MODEL SMALL BLOCK 400S REQUIRED A 400 FLYWHEEL TO BE IN BALANCE. AN OUT OF BALANCE ENGINE WILL CAUSE THE DASH AND SOMETIME WHOLE STEERING COLUMN TO SHAKE LIKE CRAZY.

12. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    6.5 turbo diesel also its a 396 ci block

13. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Cheap thing first rotate tires see if it changes or moves. If not then:

if it does OK accelerating but vibrates at steady rpm and throws fit when you let up on accelerator take drive shaft and get it trued up (not balanced make them straighten it).Likely will take care of the problem. If it has had bad u joint it is bent. Good luck

14. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Had the same thing happen to me as what's going on with you. At first i could not figure where the shake was coming from felt like the front end one minute then it felt like the right hand side if the rear end,Well i checked rechecked and checked again that rear tire for any bubble's in the side wall or the tire seperating found nothing ..Mind you this was a brand new tire and on my way home going up a steep grade she blew out going around 60+ mph took out about a 3 foot of trad from the tire it self.Thank God i was not coming down the other side yet.

15. Sounds like expensive guess work buddy. Remeber, K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid.

Start from the least complicated and inexpensixe point and go from there pal. And that would be the tires, wheels then on to suspension parts, drive train, engine, body & motor mouns, etc. 80 percent of the time it's something stupid and that was overlooked sevral times. Good luck.

16. fearless58

fearless58 New Member

State:
    ga
    IT S YOUR TIRES!!!!!

17. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Well I took the drive shaft to another drive line shop...They showed me where the center U joint was bad and where the back second shaft had a slight bend 100 bucks they put 3 new joints in and made it right... Installed it... got a shake now in the front end but goes away last from 60 to 65 so that would be the tires thanks for the fella that said take it back to the drive line and thanks for yalls help....