Another Transmission question from Tea...

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by teaysvalleyguy, Jun 2, 2006.

1. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    92 Plymouth Voyager

OK, well, as told in the previous thread we got the grommit in and bent the trans cable back into shape. It still shifts real hard from P. After I get it out of Park it is easy shifting. I know the trans cable needs replaced but dont have the funds to do it right this second.

My question is. Is it OK to park the car in N and just apply the Parking Brake?? Will this damage anything?? She can still pull the keys out of the ignition so they will not be left in the car.

Thanks in advance for the answers. Tea

2. jholman

jholman New Member

State:
    Columbus Mississippi
    I've been in the transmission biz 30 years, it won't hurt anything to leave it in neutral just remember the brakes hold better fwd than in rev if you'r on a hill.

3. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks alot, if we are on a hill it will be in P. But any flat surface we will just leave it in N then. Thanks alot for the response. Much appreciated.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    TEA Just be careful. And make sure it will not roil away. Or if someone should hit it. And rolls into something or someone.
    A you know what would happen then.
    Pete

5. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Pete she does not drive it very much. It will either be parked at home, my aunts, her dads, or once in a blue moon she will go to the store. But we use my vehicle mainly. That is a good point though, thanks.

6. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    It's also a good idea if you're parked by a curb to point the wheels toward the curb so if it does let loose, the curb will stop it.

7. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Dave great idea, thanks alot.