Another thing I thought to mention!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by pk_powell, Oct 30, 2007.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Apparently there is a new breed of doctors. They are called hospitalists. Aparently what they do is stay at the hospital. If you have a doctor that just practices at his Clinic and he or she thinks that ya need to go to the hospital they send ya there but this hospitalist(and there maybe 5 or 10) of them will take over your care. Just wondered if anyone had ever heard of these kind of doctors cause it was sure new to me!!:confused2::confused2:

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks for sharing the knowledge Pat. I never even heard of that.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Nope, new to me also, sorry. I sure dont blame ya wanting to know more.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

sounds like a new way of saying resident. They must have found a way to charge your insurance more money by changing the name.

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was laying there in the hospital bed and I had more than one doctor come in and ask how I was doing and they would see if they could manuver me around to see if it hurt. I was expecting some dude to come inthe day I was discharged that had Black hair and a black mustache,nope I had a tall clean cut guy that had a crisp white lab coat on.He wouldn't shake my hand until he had put Germ X on. I told him I said I want this Blasted urinary Catheter out and I want this IV out of my hand. I told him point blank I'd never heard of his kind of doctoring. He says "Yea we're around,we help out the guys and gals that don't want to leave their clinics". I don't know Guys I'm asking ya all's opinion,they got my meds mixed up,they said my MRI was distorted yet my back was fine,another one said my back wasn't fine. I feel just as bad as I did before I went to the hospital,with my legs,that is. If it were you would you change doctors so you wouldn't have to go back to that hospital? Sister Pat:confuse::confuse:

6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    They sound like residents to me TOOOOO. At the University of Chicago Hospital, they have these young doctors that help and learn from the head guy. Dr. Gary Steinburg is the head of urology and will preform the surgery on me, but he has these younguns that will watch and help. Every morning about 6am I can count on about 6 new doctors following Dr. Steinburg.

They are real doctors, they are just advancing thier studies, and trying to learn more. I have been up there so much I feel like there class project. Just cut where the scars are, thats where you are going in.

I hope and pray you are feeling better Mrs. Powell.

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yes, and don't be suprised to find that they all have to be paid seperately. That is what I found. No help from any of them, but they all want to be paid like they saved my life, but nothing could be farther than the truth.

8. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Hospitalists are not residents. They are doctors that practice within the hospital, much like an emergency room doctor.
    There are many practitioners out there now that do not wish to make "rounds" or get called into the hospital to care for patients while they are inpatients. So, when they have a patient admitted, they have the hospitalist's take care of them while there.
    Sometimes a hospitalist is "consulted" for things outside of a particular physicians specialty. For instance, if you go into the hospital with a broken leg, then develop belly pain. A hospitalist may be consulted by the ortho guy.
    Yep, you will be billed by any and all doctors that put thier hands on your chart...or see you.
    As far as how you feel about being cared for by one. That's a personal decision.
    I, personally, would prefer a practitioner that has priveledges in the hospital I'm in and will come to see me. (AND KNOWS ME!) I do, however, respect a doctor that consults someone outside his specialty for matters that the consultant has more knowledge of.

A resident is a doctor that has completed medical school and passed his medical licensure boards. Then he/she has chosen a particular specialty to continue his/her education in. (ie: obstetrics, gastroenterology, oncology, pediatrics, internal medicene, etc)

9. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you so much for Researching this subject. It was a first for me. This is the second time I have had to go this Hospital,and I made up my mind it is the last time. The ED is jam packed constantly,it takes forever to see a doctor I have an appointment to see a brand new doctor on Friday,unless of course we get a call at the last minute that Steve is needed in St Louis Missouri for his Trial which is set for November 5TH where a Jury is suppose to decide between him and Union Pacific Railroad. I personally hope and pray that they will want to settle out of court give us a substantial amount of money and allow us to have some of our lives back. I agree totally with Sister Laura I want my doctor to come to the hospital and check me out.Hopefully I have found just that.~~~Sister Pat:roll_eyes: