Another Sunday on the Walnut!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KansasKatter, Aug 14, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    We hit the walnut last night again, this time we had the camera with us. Needless to say, by the look of the pictures, we did OK! :wink:

All fish caught in about 3 hours, on rod and reel. The biggest flathead was 20#, caught by my 10 year old nephew!! How many of you had a 20# flathead under your belt at 10 years old? :tounge_out:

Attached Files:

2. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Where abouts on the Walnut are you fishing?
    I use to fish it over by Agusta Ks.
    Loop

3. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    nice stringer of fish there Jeff, that fish may have been 20# but by the time he gets to school it may be 60 :lol: now you got a freezer full of fish my next question is when is the fish fry? :lol:

4. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Loop, we were fishing outside of Douglass, my old home town.

Bama, actually I took them all to a private lake that is located right up against some land I own, where I am getting ready to build a house this fall. They all made the trip, except for one of the small channel cats. That way in the future I can come home from work, walk across the driveway, and catch them bad boys again!:big_smile:

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    That's awesome. I was 40 years old before I had a 20lb flathead under my belt, lol. I bet that was quite a battle for a 10 year old!

Is their much water flow where you are fishing? We camped below ElDorado in May (the Kansas Gathering), and it was just a trickle there, but Calvin told enough big flathead stories to keep us interested.

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thats awesome, thier is nothing like seeing your son catch his first big fish.:big_smile:

7. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Hey Gary,

The river is quite a bit bigger by the time it gets down to us. We are about 35 miles below Eldorado. The water we were fishing last night was between knee and waist deep, and pretty good current. It was just below a long shallow riffle. I had one that I could not believe, it would have eaten the one my nephew had. Biggest fish I have ever had hooked, broke my line right at the bank.

8. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    great pics and great catch good job

9. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Nice stringer of fish Jeff. They will be a perfect fit for your pond. Did you catch them all on perch? Your son will catch a lot of big fish over the years but he'll always remember that one. I hope the next time he catches him, he'll weigh 50#. Congratulations.

10. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Calvin, we had mostly perch, a few goldfish that I have been keeping in the aquarium that were left over from early in the year, and my wife wanted them out of there. Funny thing is, we had more perch and still some goldfish left over last night, so I sneaked them back in there while she was sleeping!:smile2:

That is one of the better nights we have had in a long time. Those flatheads are HUNGRY right now. They were all extremely thin, and super aggressive. I had one break me off (the 15# fish) when he took me over a log, an hour later, I caught a flathead, with about 18" of yellow big cat line hanging out of his mouth!

We used one of Garland's old trick to keep the Gar away. When we first started fishing, the gar were pretty thick, and I finally caught one of them. I snapped his back, gutted him with my pocket knife, and laid him in the water, shallow enough where he would not float off, but was leaving a good blood trail in the water. We did not get another gar bite for about 2 hours, then we did the same thing with that one, and did not get another for the rest of the night.

I SURE wish I could have landed that one that broke me off, I swear, he would have EATEN that one my nephew caught. He was well over 4' long, and probably a foot wide or better. Just got him close enough to reach down for him, and he boiled the water like no other, straightened out my rod before I could even react, and snapped the line like it was THREAD!!

He was 50 if he was a pound!:angry:

11. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The big boy will still be there next time Jeff. Even though the big one got away you had a night you won't soon forget.

12. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    You got that right! More important, those boys will never forget either. That is what it is all about. Of all the stuff Garland taught me, the biggest impression he made is how someone like him spending time to teach a youngster how to fish, even if it was on the porch, with no water in sight, sticks with that youngster for their entire life. When I met Brandon's mom, he was 8. He LOVED to fish, but had never really been taught how, and usually only fished for bass or perch. He had no real interest in catfishing, he thought it was boring. Now that is the only kind of fishing he really wants to do, and he has learned a TON. That is what is great about taking these boys fishing, they soak it up like sponges.

Hopefully someday they will think of my brother and I the same way I think of Garland and my Dad. Dad may not have had the best teaching technique (not a very patient man to say the least), but by golly he taught us well, and it pays off every time we go.

13. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Every time a youngster catches a fish the legacy of Garland and all the others who came before is enriched. The future of fishing is only as strong as the love for it we instill in our children now.

14. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    nice catch !!!!!!

15. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Awesome catch man.. I have some friends in Douglas, I might have to give it a shot...

16. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Jason,

What are your friends names? My brother and I grew up there. I have not lived there for 20 years, but my brother has been there, and my father still lives there too, so we know quite a few people.