another Sunday fishing

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Went downtown Richmond at 4:45 PM and met my brother who had been fishing since 2:30 PM. He had caught saved back a couple of Hickory Shad he had caught on a shad dart. We set up and it immediately began. Non stop eaters 1-4 pounds until we left at 6:30 PM. We filled the 40 quart cooler again and gave the fish to the bank fisherman. While we were kicked back tight lining cats, I saw something I have never seen before. Two separate boats were slow trolling for shad. The two young men in a jon boat flat wore them out. Incredible! Two older guys in a Starcraft V were doing the same thing but not as good. I noticed the starcraft was trolling a little faster. The Jon was trolling at a crawl those shad dart spoon combo rigs with no added weight. The starcraft was trolling a little faster with only silver spoons on a leader behind a 1/4 oz bullet weight. Jon boys outfished the Starcraft 4 to 1.

We left the river and the bite was still strong. No Stripes today. Had to make it to a Hispanic Market on Broad Street before 8:00, (Bodega Latina). Every Sunday they fix a seafood stew. It is served in a monster sized bowl with homemade tortillas. Fish with bones in, Whole head on shrimp, Octopus, Squid, and King Crab pieces in the shell with a few chopped vegetables,(not many). All the bones and shells make the broth more flavorful. You make a terrible mess peeling and eating as you go but my word is it good. Only served on Sunday and hands down my favorite meal of the week. Going fishing again at 5:00 PM and staying until dark. We'll see if the stripers arrive. Last year I caught a bunch in the 30's and broke off one bigger. I only use my little rods downtown so every fish is a blast.

2. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Kenneth...thanks for such an in deepth report....sounds like a blast....if I every get a chance I will have to try out that seafood stew.

Jerry

3. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    Great report Kenneth...My favorite time of the year...Will be heading out there this weekend for some ultra lite action

4. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Sounds fun good job.

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Sounds like you're having a blast Kenneth! Will be down later this week for some action. Getting the rest of my shad gear together as we speak.

6. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    sounds like a busy time fishing. can not wait to get back to the james myself thanks for the report

7. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    So James.....when are you going back.....please....do tell.....lol....Jerry

8. vtfish

vtfish New Member

State:
    Virginia
    do you catch many am. shad or are they mostly herring and hickory's?

9. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    You have to throw the American shad back in all the Chesapeake Bay Tributaries, ie the James. We catch way more hickories than American shad. The Americans don't show up or at least I don't catch them until April 7. A full two weeks after the Hickories.