Another steering question

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by tbull, Apr 1, 2009.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I just upgraded my steering to a no feed back steering system. i guess the unit itself has 3 gears inside the box instead of 1. This thing is still a bear to steer. The cable is brand new, everything is brand new. Its on a 93 Yamaha 150. I am pretty sure this motor had 2 cables on the previous owners boat, that is why I upgraded the steering since I would only be running 1 cable. Any ideas on why its so hard to steer this thing?

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Travis,
    How free was the motor when you had all the steering gear disconnected? Does the route of the new cable allow for a nice gentle bend?...W

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    It was very free before hand, the new cable isway to long, but there are no sharp bends anywhere. Just kind of threads up and down the gunwhale of the boat. I ask the guy at the Marina that same question and he said that shouldn't matter, of course does not mean he is right.... Just frustrating to spend 300$ and get the same results..My buddy Kat-Addict has a Suzuki 115 which is a fairly good sized motor, and even with a single cable that things steers like a dream..

4. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    hi travis,ive had a 200 merc and a 150 yamaha,both were hard to steer,i had to put hydraulic steering on both,and it was pricey

5. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    the NFB no 'feed back does ' have a noticable ammount of resistance to turn even when it is not connected to the motor, due to the braking system, also the secondary cable MUST be adjusted correctly , I have it on my 200 hp V6 with a 13" steering wheel and I can steer it with 1 hand, but like I said the cables MUST be adjusted at the tilt tube CORRECTLY- very importaint!!!!'

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    What do you mean adjusted? I installed this system per the instructions, which I admit were to the point and didnt mention much adjusting..Its a single cable..

7. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Disconect the cable and see how it feels. Then go back and move the motor by hand. To find out how stiff it moves maybe needs a little grease. Did you lube the cable when you put it on? If not get some cable lube and use it. Make sure that the pivets are all lubed. They move hard when dry.

8. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    My fault... I asumed it was a dual cable..:eek:oooh: