another skunking on the scioto

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by flathunter, Sep 11, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never in 30 years of catfishing experinced anything like this.

17 straight skunkings on the scioto, with over 150 hours put in and not one single fish, nor even a bite.

I just dont know what to say or do, but I will say this the trotliners moved into my spots early this year, and fished them hard 7 days a week..But they have not been back in a few weeks..Could in be they cleaned everything out?

I have even tried different tactics, and also my usualy tactics..I have mainly used fresh cut shad but have even tried live bait, and nothing.

2. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    is the scioto a small or large river?i fish a small river most of the water is around knee deep and has holes that are 6 to 10' deep,when river is up good i catch fish when it is down i do'nt,but i believe when river goes dn all the good fish hit the deeper holes,the holes where i fish,so does everyone else and i do believe people do fish them out,i need a small boat so i can get to holes that bank fishermen can'nt get to,went lastnight when there should of been fish a 10' hole with wood in it at the end of a shollow ripple run because of a rock bottom.not even a bite.i am amazed there any fish at all in the river i fish,you got guys like me r & r fish,then you have trot and limb liners,noodlers,and the you have the scum that shocks them,do'nt know if any of this applys to you,but i know trot liners fishing hard 7 days a week can catch alot fish.hope your fishing gets better

3. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I think if the liners are gone then the fish are gone to. Sorry to see you are having this problem.

4. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Sorry to hear of your luck Jack! Have you even caught a good Channel Cat latley? Id be thinking of trying some new spots out. Good luck!

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have not caught a channel cat either in 17 trips.

6. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Dang Man! At times like these a good Channel Cat can even help out. Have you tried Liver?:smile2:

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I refuse to resort to liver, I will quit first:big_smile:

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    dude that sucks, its just another example of why i hate trotlining. Its just a simple way of destroying a river:angry:

9. fishin' addict

fishin' addict New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have only fished there for my fist time a couple weeks ago. I was going for flatheads and and was depressed cause i only caught 2 channels and a gar. One of the channels was 7 pounds though.

10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Jack I've done the same thing at the lake here by me. I have went 15 times an skunked without even a big channel cat. Cannot seem to find the right baits or their just not in the spots now. State had a dredger in there about three weeks ago that may have stirred it up.

11. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    im the same way jack ive been out 11 times and no fish but last weekend i did get a bite on a goldfish

12. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hang in there I think the bite is starting to pick up!

13. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    dam thats pretty cut and dry, well then are you going to be come a BASS fishermen, them cat rod's should get you set up in BASS fishing pretty good:smile2::smile2::wink: humm... basshunter

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  14. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    Time to move locations!

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Or just keep trying.

They will eventually have to feed one of these days.

16. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Jack, I've been through the fishing blues a bunch of times. Small rivers get hammered by persistent trotliners. Like this one stretch I try to fish some because it looks like this great spot and it's few and far between there. I heard a story recently that one limb liner pulled 15 flats out of this stretch this year and it's only about 5 miles between two dams so it isn't that big. If you drive maybe 30 miles away, it might be a completely different river. Right now fish are chasing shad around where I fish so you might try some different things.

17. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i would say your fish are in a pay pond somewhere Jack! i hope i am wrong.

these sites are just rite for the idiots that rape our public waters for their gain!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009