Another rookie question

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by rookie cat, Jun 21, 2009.

1. rookie cat

rookie cat New Member

State:
    ok
    Ok guys i am fairly new to all of this. I have had some luck the last 3 weekends fishing a small crrek that runs into the river. The channel part of the creek is about 4-6 feet and a flat offf the channel is 2-4 feet depending on river level. I was catching some descent channels off this flat. My question is the water temp according to my depth finder is saying 90 degrees, Will these fish move out of this creek into the main river or will they stay up in this creek? What is some tactics for the hot summer time? What are the patterns of these fish when it gets hot like this. Thanks for the help just trying to learn all I can and you guys got the knowledge. Thanks, Kyle

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Kyle,

As the surface temp gets hotter the fish tend to go deeper. The one thing you have to remember is that our depth finder is only reading the surface temp., not the temp. deeper or at the depth where the fish are.

Depending on the depth of that creek where it joins the river and what the bait fish do will determine what the cats will do. Also current can have a factor in that equation. If there is a strong flow the water will stay cooler deeper than in still water and will also bring bait fish down the creek to the mouth where the cats have been hanging out. Although you may see a slow down in the bite during the day you may still be able to catch the cats there at night.

If the creek and mouth are shallow they may move in deeper up the creek where there may be a deeper pool plus shade from trees that will keep the water cooler or they may search for deeper water out in the river but probably wont' venture far if there is still a good supply of bait fish nearby.

If the bait fish move because of temperature and the flow of water gets still and heats up then the cats will too.

Hope all this helps.
    kev

3. rookie cat

rookie cat New Member

State:
    ok
    Thanks Kevin, I think I may need to move towards the mouth of the creek. It's deeper, the place I was fishing is just to shallow and stagnite. I will keep you posted.

4. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    The channel cats really dont care..:eek:oooh::tounge_out: they hang around creeks, weeds, brush all summer in as little as 12inches of water...the blues will move though..depends on the oxygen level in the water....right now they can be caught drifting the current on bottom:wink: & quite a few too!! Some of my friends caught around 20-30 blues drifting saturday on the Ar. river in the current....I didnt go been sick trying to get well:0a30:

5. rookie cat

rookie cat New Member

State:
    ok
    Thanks Big Sam, I think the reason the fish did not bite in that same place was because I was fishing it at 2pm the hotest part of the day like 95 plus. I wont give up on it yet but will try early mornings or nights.

6. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Early morning and night is a good time and its to hot to be fishing in mid day.

7. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Im kinda like a big ole buck this time of year, I go nocturnal.:eek:oooh::smile2: Lot more comfortable thats for sure. Sam is right those channels dont care much, any kind of structure (grass clumps, downed trees, rocks, overhanging anything) Throw em some stink and they should come runnin. Good luck to ya. Mac